Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Electro magnetic flow meter

Status
Not open for further replies.

BioniC187

Hey guys, i am trying to work on a little project that will help with my fuel consumption.
I intend on making an electro flow meter, which will go inline with fuel pipe to the carb of my car.
I don't have it all figured out yet, but the main part is the flowmeter. i have done some tests and it seems to work, but the output voltage of the flowmeter is very low, 9mA. So how can i go about amplifying this signal properly? there are electrodes touching the fuel directly in the flow meter, so i would like to have no feedback in this circuit for safety reasons, even though i don't feel a spark would be generated across the electrodes, its good to be safe in the event that something could happen. So yeah, ideas etc, not sure how i will output the data yet, and no i do not have access to a pic, where i live, pic's are way too expensive :(

the output voltage of the flowmeter is very low, 9mA.
Do you understand the difference between current and voltage? Should '9mA' read '9mV'?
What range of variation of the flowmeter output do you get as the flow rate changes; i.e. what are the min and max values?
Have you planned how you are going to calibrate the flowmeter?
What accuracy do you expect?
there are electrodes touching the fuel directly in the flow meter, so i would like to have no feedback in this circuit for safety reasons
You obviously have power applied to at least two of the electrodes. How have you ensured that is safe?

A manifold vacuum meter would be a better idea for getting better fuel mileage. A fuel flow meter will only tell you how much you are using. A vacuum meter will tell you when the motor is running at the most efficient throttle setting for that speed.

One possible problem here, if I understand correctly, electromagnetic flowmeters only work on conductive fluids.

To the best of my knowledge, neither petrol (gasoline) or diesel are conductive.

Please advise if I am wrong.

JimB

Do you understand the difference between current and voltage? Should '9mA' read '9mV'?
What range of variation of the flowmeter output do you get as the flow rate changes; i.e. what are the min and max values?
Have you planned how you are going to calibrate the flowmeter?
What accuracy do you expect?
You obviously have power applied to at least two of the electrodes. How have you ensured that is safe?

i understand the difference, you should understand that people make mistakes :) it is 9mV not mA, i am sorry for giving wrong information

I wasn't sure about it conducting either, but i was willing to give it a go as there are flow meters for fuel lines.
I will look in to the manifold vaccum meter, thanks :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back