Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

electric touch- negative ion generator

Status
Not open for further replies.
The problem with having the battery at one level of voltage and then using the high voltage output to charge yourself up is that when ever you goto turn it off you have to make a connection between the two voltage differentials. If you're the ground plain then the only voltage potential you have to work with is the 12 volt which wont give you a shock.

By putting the HV output to the earth ground you will still raise your bodies voltage up high enough to shock whom ever you want anyway. With the HV lead to the earth ground your just floating the battery and controls at the same level as your body.
Regardless of which way you hook yourself up you still get the same shock as the person you plan to use it on anyway. When you connect your self one way you just dont have to shock yourself while turning it off.

I used to do this same trick in high school with an old fly back transformer from an old TV. If I made myself the same potential as the power supply side(battery pack) I didn't have to get shocked while turning it on and off.

And yes it was harmless, but very funny! :D

hmmm i am confused with what you are saying lol
so how would i hook it up to myself with the car ionizer (you are talking about a car ionizer right?)
where is the HV lead in a car ionizer? can you please give a little more detail on how to hook it up??
Also, how would i do this with a flyback transformer? i heard about this before and i think that a ttransformer would be more accessible than a car ionizer...
Anybody have suggestions ?? Geta flyback or purchase a car ionizer? which will be more likely to work like the post above from pikashoes or electrifried??

It would appear you dont have the necessary knowledge or skills at this point to do either one. Once you have a solid understanding of basic inverter and high voltage devices then I would recommend building this! :(

Until then your more likely to hurt yourself than shock anyone. :eek:

You need to do some more studying first! :D

It would appear you dont have the necessary knowledge or skills at this point to do either one. Once you have a solid understanding of basic inverter and high voltage devices then I would recommend building this! :(

Until then your more likely to hurt yourself than shock anyone. :eek:

You need to do some more studying first! :D

i am pretty sure that i have complete understanding of using a negative ion generator in this project...
all i am asking is how would i connect a car ionizer (which doesn't obviously show the input and HV lead of the ionizer inside) into the project...
And i am also unclear as to why you would connect the HV lead to the bottom of the shoe instead of to you body

Last edited:
The HV is relative to the two ends of the generator.

In all actuality it doesn't matter which end of the HV generator your on.
However if your carrying the battery pack its just as easy to make yourself the floating ground end and the actual earth the relative HV end in reference to yourself.
With this approach you can run off of a larger battery pack and strap it to your leg plus you dont have to cut up a pair of shoes either. Instead the HV lead off of the device just goes down the side of your shoe and attach's to the foil on the bottom.

To shock someone all your doing is completing a circuit where your the capacitor and the person being shocked is the return path from you to the HV end of the generator device.

To find the HV output of the ionizer just take it apart and hook power up to it.
The line that shocks you is it! ;)

To find the HV output of the ionizer just take it apart and hook power up to it.
The line that shocks you is it! ;)

lol thats what i've been asking for a while...
one more question... the power requirement for a car ionizer is the same as the output of a battery pack measuring approx 12 volts?
ALSO... never bought anything from ebay before... is it safe?

It should work just fine off of a 12 volt battery pack. Its size will determine how long it lasts.

I buy on eBay all the time and have never had problems. Others seem to disagree though. Its entirely up to you in the end.

Just make sure that if you do you set up your account correctly and use a reputable payment system. ;)
PayPal works well for me but I hear that if you jump your account info around a lot they tend to question your actions at times.
If you dont want to raise suspicions dont act suspicious.:rolleyes:

Use common sense and think about what it is your trying to do first, then do it. :)

Just guessing, but a car ionizer isn't going to produce a high volume of negative ions, so I'd expect it to take a while to build up a charge, if you are going for the static electric type shock (rubbing your feet on the carpet). Most of the replies above sound more like direct HV shocking. I hate getting shocked, so I never took an interest in these sorts of things. I have read into a few things, so I can avoid getting shocked though. My cloths dryer gets me every winter, when the humidity is low.

https://secure.oatleyelectronics.co...d=327&osCsid=5701a55502853d4867849a58f940a953

$12, not sure about shipping, but probably just what you are looking for...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back