Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Electric muscle and nerve stimulation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pao

Hi

You know these devices EMNS that claim to stimulate the muscle. a person usually has skin resistance of 1000 ohms in wet skin, to 500,000 ohms in dry skin and usually 20mA is already enough to kill or injure a person, so i was thinkin (1Kohms)(20mA) = 20V or .5M(20mA) = 10kV

Ive seen one ad that says that a 9V supplied device can stimulate a person. Is that even possible? How would the the circuit look? it would have a stepup transformer at its output side that probably would not be just a 9V? I was looking for a circuit for these devices on the net but failed find any.

Pao

electrical shock

Pao said:
Hi

You know these devices EMNS that claim to stimulate the muscle. a person usually has skin resistance of 1000 ohms in wet skin, to 500,000 ohms in dry skin and usually 20mA is already enough to kill or injure a person, so i was thinkin (1Kohms)(20mA) = 20V or .5M(20mA) = 10kV

Ive seen one ad that says that a 9V supplied device can stimulate a person. Is that even possible? How would the the circuit look? it would have a stepup transformer at its output side that probably would not be just a 9V? I was looking for a circuit for these devices on the net but failed find any.

Pao

a heart pacer uses an electrical signal of just a few volts.
That is possible because the heart muscles and the activating nerves
practically touch each other, so the chemical ionic exchange between the muscle and nerve can be activated by a 70 mv from the nerve.

applying a 9v battery internally to that nerve contact would cause a heart attack.

Applying the same 9 volt to the exterior of the human body would produce, perhaps, a 1 millivolt on the heart muscle :
because of the tremendous voltage division caused by many series-parallel electrical resistance paths between the skin and the heart.

When a high voltage is connected to the skin things change. Even dry human skin has sweat pores etc.
the body flesh has salts and liquid blood.
that results in extremely non linear body resistance.

9v across the hands might cause 1mv to reach the heart
220v could cause 100 mv to reach the heart.
Look out ! that's dangerous.

The numbers are just my guess-estimate.

hawk2eye

The government sued the muscle-twitcher gadjet manufacturer for false advertising. You must WORK a muscle to build up its strength, not just twitch it. The couch-potatoes who bought it and use it are wasting their money.

Use a piezo cigarette lighter ignition, if you apply the spark to nerve endings in your body your muscles will twitch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back