Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

electet mic

Status
Not open for further replies.

evaine23

I was building a simple sound meter using an electet mic, audio amp, and a LM339. I purchased the mics years ago so I don't remember any of the specifications about them. I measure the resistance of the mic between the two leads and it appears to have an internal resistance of 1Kohm. I may be wrong, but I thought, to select the desired voltage for the mic, I could treat the mic as a resistor and set it up like a voltage divider. With 1K of resistance in the mic and a 5Vdc power supply, if I wanted 1V I would need a 4K resistor ((1K/[1K+4K])*5V). I measured at the node where the mic, resistor, and capacitor meet. This doesn't seem to work properly and I needed to resort to trial and error with a multimeter. Currently I'm using a 15k resistor which should only allow 0.3V at that node if my calculations are correct ((1K/[1K+15K])*5V). Am I wrong in my assumption that I could treat the mic as a resistor in this circuit? If my logic is wrong, how do I go about selecting the proper resistor to supply the proper voltage if this doesn't act like a standard voltage divider?

mic_setup-gif.31803

Attachments

• mic_setup.gif
    mic_setup.gif
    1.2 KB · Views: 269
alright, but if that's the case, then how should I determine the proper resistor to set the desired voltage for my project. Mine is currently fine but I would like to know the proper way of setting the voltage, not just putting a resistor in and measuring the voltage. I'm trying to improve my understanding of circuit designing and analysis so i can work on some better projects.

An electret mic typically uses a supply of about 8V through a 10k ohms resistor. Then its current is about 0.5mA and its voltage is about 3.0V.

With a lower supply voltage then its voltage and current are reduced a little. For 2.5V across the mic its current is about 0.4mA and the resistor from 5V is 6.2k ohms.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back