Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

EEPROM

Status
Not open for further replies.

edisonboy

Where do I start!!!! A found a JDM programmer on Ebay for 10 bucks, is this a good starting programmer? Also, can you upload a schematics to IC-Prog or is it all code, and if it is, is it easy to learn? :?

Thanks

Ed

This is it, is there any software out there that I can draw a schematic in and have it translate it to code to program into an EEPROM? :?:

I think you misunderstand what EEPROMS do. All EEPROMS do is store a list of 8 bit binary values. Thats it.

I think what you're interested in is a microcontroller. a microcontroller is a tiny computer in a single IC chip. You can program a microcontroller with "code". The code you're talking about is a list of instruction for the microcontroller to do. If you're interested in learning how to do this your best bet is to go buy a book about microcontrollers and read up a little before you buy any hardware.

Brent

Store information.

For example, in modern television sets, a EEPROM is used to store the channels, startup values for sound, color, ...
By using EEPROM these values are retained even when the set is unplugged.

What is a 555 timer then? Is it eeprom or a micro-controller? Is it possible (if so, what do I need) to take a small circuit and burn it on to a micro-controller and just have a power in and a power out.

edisonboy said:
What is a 555 timer then? Is it eeprom or a micro-controller? Is it possible (if so, what do I need) to take a small circuit and burn it on to a micro-controller and just have a power in and a power out.

A 555 is a dedicated chip, just a collection of transistors and resistors joined together in a particular way - it has no programmable capabilities at all.

Taking a circuit, and blowing it into a chip isn't really possible, depending what you require the circuit to do you may be able to program a micro-controller to do the same job - but it's likely to require extra hardware for many purposes.

You could program one to work in a similar way to a 555, as a monostable or astable - in fact it would work far better and more accurately, but it wouldn't be a pin for pin replacement, you would need to program it for each individual job.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back