Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

EASY- Charge Sealed lead acid battery with benchtop power supply

Status
Not open for further replies.

spitso

Hi there

Before i leave for work i would like to put my sealed lead acid battery on charge using my variable benchtop power supply. Battery is lw650c 6v valve regulated dosent state amp hours just intial current which is 2.9 amps.

Ill be back in 5 hours. How many volts should i set my benchtop power supply to? how many amps should i let through? and correct me if im wrong but positive terminal of power supply goes to positive of battery and negative to negative, correct?

thankyou

Short the power supply leads; set the current limit to 2.9A.
Unshort the leads, set the voltage limit to 7.35V (2.45Vpc)
Connect + to +; - to -

If the supply current is >100mA after 5 hours, then let it charge longer. Do not leave the battery connected for more than 24hours.

If you want to "float" the battery indefinetely, set the voltage to 6.85V (2.28Vpc)

Last edited:
thanks for the help.

also is there a way of chraging li-ion batterys with benchtop power supply???
its 12v amps? contains 2 batterys in parrael in sereies with 2 batterys in parrael in sereies with another 2 batterys in parrael.

its the laptop battery which i took apart to get the battery module out for high amp purposes and now laptop cant charge it ( i think cause sensor broke), i can acces the - and + bypassing the sensing circuit.

I am not familiar with LiOn battery chemistry. Google "charging LiOn" and see what is required. The charging algorithm will be stated in terms of "X Volts for Y time" or "X Amps for Y time or until voltage is Z" etc. You can always accomplish this by turning knobs on your power supply while sitting in front of it. There may not be one setting of both voltage limit and current limit on your supply that allows charging a LiOn battery unattended without abusing it.

Li-on is similar to lead acid, apart from having different cell voltages, the main difference is you can't float charge them indefinitely.

Limit the current to 0.5C, charge to 4.2V/c, cut-off the power when the current drops below about 0.05C.

C is the capacity in amp/hours /c means per cell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back