Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Earth Scanning

Status
Not open for further replies.

balasaheb

Respected Sir,
My Self Pawar B.J., wants project ideas about the technique to detect water under earth surface to dig well or tubewell for the farming perpose.

Radar, ultrasound?

Dowsing isn't much better than chance. Someohow I would think that a proper geological survey carried out by real scientists would be more reliable than a load of loonies how think they know better.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dowsing#Evidence

Hero999 said:
Dowsing isn't much better than chance. Someohow I would think that a proper geological survey carried out by real scientists would be more reliable than a load of loonies how think they know better.

You live in England, how do you think the water boards track underground leaks and pipes when they don't know where they are?.

I'll give you a clue, it's not technological! :D

Dowsing is in common every day use by the water companies.

If what you're saying is true, then it's no wonder there are som many leaks.

Leaks are easy to spot because you can easilly see the wather spouting up through the ground. Analysis of the water soon proves that it's tap water and not a natural spring.

Hero999 said:
If what you're saying is true, then it's no wonder there are som many leaks.

Leaks are easy to spot because you can easilly see the wather spouting up through the ground. Analysis of the water soon proves that it's tap water and not a natural spring.

By far the vast majority of leaks don't reach the surface, the water disappears in the ground - natural springs don't usually spontaneously appear in the road either! :p

Interesting when a large water main bursts though - no problem spotting that! :D

So if they use dowsers how do you suppose they distinguish from the water flowing through the pipes and the water leaking about of them?

They don't, small leaks where the water escapes underground probably go unnoticed. If there's a huge leak and the water is filling an underground chamber, they can probably spot it because there'll be a huge drop in pressure.

Hero999 said:
So if they use dowsers how do you suppose they distinguish from the water flowing through the pipes and the water leaking about of them?

They don't, small leaks where the water escapes underground probably go unnoticed. If there's a huge leak and the water is filling an underground chamber, they can probably spot it because there'll be a huge drop in pressure.

Wonder why dowsing rods are standard issue on water board vans then?, and why they are trained to use them?.

Because it's the most accurate way to find the spot to dig, and you don't want to know how much it costs for every hole that's dug! - they can't afford to dig in the wrong place too many times.

Earth resisitivity probing will give a give a reasonable picture if done correctly, but only down 10-20 metres, dependent on electrode spacing. If the well needs to go down further, I'd have to go down 100m, local knowledge is sometimes the best guide. Also look for VLF systems.
http://www.ldolphin.org/Geoarch.html

Last edited:
Nigel Goodwin said:
Wonder why dowsing rods are standard issue on water board vans then?, and why they are trained to use them?.

Because it's the most accurate way to find the spot to dig, and you don't want to know how much it costs for every hole that's dug! - they can't afford to dig in the wrong place too many times.

I've never heard that before.

Could to please point me to some more information.

Here's the only thing I could find that water companies say about dowsing.
A spokeswoman for Thames Water, the UK's largest water services company, comments: "Though we use conventional methods such as soundwaves and giant ear trumpets to find leaks, we cannot see any harm in dowsing. Our responsibility stops at the boundary of the home, so customers who have leaks or plumbing problems can do what they like to trace them. "With all the recent controversy about plumbers who overcharge, calling in a dowser to find the source of a leak could be an excellent alternative," adds the spokesman.
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4158/is_20031029/ai_n12726243

Super_voip said:
Earth resisitivity probing will give a give a reasonable picture if done correctly, but only down 10-20 metres, dependent on electrode spacing. If the well needs to go down further, I'd have to go down 100m, local knowledge is sometimes the best guide. Also look for VLF systems.
http://www.ldolphin.org/Geoarch.html
Of course, soil resistivity will work and I imagine that VLF is also a good idea.

Dowsing?

The Skeptics Society has a standing $200,000 prize for ANYONE who can demonstrate a better than 75% accuracy at dowsing under controlled conditions.
The prize has stood unclaimed for over 10 years. Does that tell us something?

They all fail ..........

Centretek said:
The Skeptics Society has a standing $200,000 prize for ANYONE who can demonstrate a better than 75% accuracy at dowsing under controlled conditions.
The prize has stood unclaimed for over 10 years. Does that tell us something?

Those who believe in the Easter Rabbit and dowsing should read this:
http://www.randi.org/library/dowsing/

If it is to much to read, here is what James Randi says in a nutshell:
"The bottom line is that they all fail , when properly and fairly tested. There are no exceptions."

Honest test and the results:
**broken link removed**

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back