Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

DVD RW/R

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikekendal

Most DVD players for in-car entertainment seem to have been 'modified' by the manufacturer to stop them playing DVD R and DVD RW discs. Has anyone got a handle on how to enable these devices so that they play these discs?

You would be better having a look at:

www.dvdrhelp.com

there's too much info on there to look thru' to give a definitive answer
but 'm sure you'll find out 8)

DVD RW

Thanks for that - must be an answer in there somewhere. I've been told that the manfucturers of many dvd players are chipping them so they won't play R or RW formats (to force us all to pay extortionate, fixed DVD prices). Maybe there's a nice earner for some one if they can discover how to un-chip the damn things whilst sticking two fingers up at the ever so smart manufacturers!

Here's my solution: don't use a dvd player.

I have a dvd drive on my computer, and if I ever want to watch a dvd I just lean back in my chair, turn up my 5.1 system and watch my 19" viewsonic monitor in bright mode.

If you prefer not to watch movies on your computer, then buy a video card with tv out, and just hook it up to your tv. Then you can plug your sound system straight into your computer. Some people even make cheap computers called divx boxes for viewing divx movies. Divx is the most popular codec for encoding full length movies, though xvid is popular as well.

Thanks for the idea - my problem stems from wanting to record tv programming to a DVD, then play the DVD on an in-car player.

mikekendal said:
Thanks for the idea - my problem stems from wanting to record tv programming to a DVD, then play the DVD on an in-car player.

I use a Philips DVDR880 for record and playback, using DVD+ media
(+R and +RW)

Quality is excellent! 8)

Thanks for the input - have you ever tried playing the dvd on a player that doesn't indicate it plays DVD R or RW media.

Sure, my Pioneer DVD player, DV-515 plays DVD+R's.........

While I know little about the inner workings I can report that I "burn" copies of CDs (music) that I've purchased then use the copies in the car so that I don't have to worry so much about damage. They work fine. I do nothing more than follow the 'wizard' and tell it to copy a music CD.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back