Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

DVD RW both Laser diodes are red!

Status
Not open for further replies.

polashd

I scavenged the laser unit from an old DVD RW (benq 22x max). I read in internet that CD burner laser would be infrared hence invisible and DVD burner laser would be red. I soldered wires with both lasers (not removed from the unit) and powered (li-ion cell, 22 ohm R in series) to find the powerful DVD burning laser. But I found both lasers emitting red drawing similar current ( 70 to 80ma with different brightness).

I'm confused why both are red & which one is the DVD burning laser that I'm looking for!
What is the power rating of that Laser diode?
Can anyone pls advise me?

Last edited:
Well CD lasers are red - NOT invisible.

As far as I can recall DVD lasers are red as well?, just a different frequency of red.

BluRay player lasers are blue though, hence the name.

it is the watts that are important,
also a focal point
also the material being burnt needs to have same absorption spectrum of laser color, thats why black balloons are mostly used..
also watts = volts x amps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back