Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

DVD Copying

Status
Not open for further replies.

beast1125

I want to be able to back-up all my DVD movies on to blank DVD-R media. Where is the best place to start ? Where can I find information to help me with this ? What hardware will I need ? What software will I need ?

You will need a computer with a DVD R.

It would also be nice to have a DVD drive as well but it's not a requirement.

There are plenty of free DVD copying programs which can be found using Google.

The thread author doesn't list his location (typical in this forum for some reason!). If his location is in the USA, he is allowed to make 1 copy of the original provided the original is destroyed immediately afterwards. A format change is allowed (as in tape to DVD or vice versa) but again the original MUST be destroyed. Otherwise, it's copyright infringement and subject to applicable laws.

Personal recordings such as family movies, self-performances, etc. can be copied as many times as desired.

Last edited:
The thread author doesn't list his location (typical in this forum for some reason!). If his location is in the USA, he is allowed to make 1 copy of the original provided the original is destroyed immediately afterwards. A format change is allowed (as in tape to DVD or vice versa) but again the original MUST be destroyed. Otherwise, it's copyright infringement and subject to applicable laws.

Personal recordings such as family movies, self-performances, etc. can be copied as many times as desired.
thats news to me....I am under the impression you are ALWAYS allowed to have a back up or use it on what ever media you care to. It is called FAIR USE.

Sounds like you have been buying into RIAA propaganda to me.

I agree, you should be allowed to make a backup copy.

Here in the UK, it's called fair dealing.

Our rights as consumers aren't protected at all. DRM almost directly violates the consumer's right to make a back up copy.

Then there's the problem that you may no longer be able to use the material you've purchased when the vendor stops supporting it. For example Windows XP activation requires contact with Microsoft but what happens when they finally stop supporting it? If I need to re-install it on my PC, I'll no longer be able to activate my copy. My only legal option would be to purchase the latest version of Windows which might not run on an old computer. In reality I'd turn to bypassing the activation so I don't have to worry about it.

I think copyright law needs changing. The big recording companies are fighting a loosing battle with DRM, they'll never win. I avoid DRM whenever possible, in fact even when I install a legal version of Windows, I still bypass the activation as a matter of principle.

I agree, you should be allowed to make a backup copy.

Here in the UK, it's called fair dealing.

Our rights as consumers aren't protected at all. DRM almost directly violates the consumer's right to make a back up copy.

Then there's the problem that you may no longer be able to use the material you've purchased when the vendor stops supporting it. For example Windows XP activation requires contact with Microsoft but what happens when they finally stop supporting it? If I need to re-install it on my PC, I'll no longer be able to activate my copy. My only legal option would be to purchase the latest version of Windows which might not run on an old computer. In reality I'd turn to bypassing the activation so I don't have to worry about it.

I think copyright law needs changing. The big recording companies are fighting a loosing battle with DRM, they'll never win. I avoid DRM whenever possible, in fact even when I install a legal version of Windows, I still bypass the activation as a matter of principle.

you should check out groklaw.org ... they cover SCO first and foremost but get into all sorts of technology law, including the various industries and the ramifications of Digital Restrictions Management

Yea, one copy in the US, and you don't have to destroy the original. The one problem is the DRMA law that makes it illegal to break the encryption.

So we have one law that states we can make one copy for backup purposes (Fair Use), but another law that states we are not allowed to break the encryption (DRMA.) The first was written for the citizens, the second for the corporations. Gotta love the greed and all the excuses they make for it.

Slysoft has everything you need. The Anydvd software disables all encryption, the CloneDVD allows you to make direct copies and the CloneDVD Mobile allows you to convert a dvd to several different formats. I have had a few issues with slysoft and windows 7 so i started using WinX DVD ripper and its been great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back