Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Durability of PCB-mounted switch and power jack

Status
Not open for further replies.

R_C

My current project includes the following mounted on the enclosure:

Panel mount power switch (2 wires)
Panel mount DC power jack (2 wires)
9V battery (2 wires)
External piezo buzzer (2 wires)
Four panel mount momentary push buttons and an LED (6 wires)
LCD (3 wires)
GPS module (5 wires)

Each of these has a molex connector on the pcb. I’d like to minimize the number of wires and connectors in the next version to make it easier to build in small quantities. So I’m looking at putting the power switch, DC barrel jack, and 9V battery on the pcb. Are pcb-mounted switches and jacks durable? I’ve seen some switches and jacks that are through hole and have a panel mount nut, which seems stronger but adds extra steps to assembly. Is it reasonable to mount the power switch and barrel jack on the pcb and just protrude through a hole in the enclosure?

Is it reasonable to mount the power switch and barrel jack on the pcb and just protrude through a hole in the enclosure?
It is something which is often done in "consumer grade" equipment, and most of the time is quite satisfactory.
However it is quite common for the solder joints to crack due to stresses coused when connectors are inserted and removed.

JimB

It is something which is often done in "consumer grade" equipment, and most of the time is quite satisfactory.
However it is quite common for the solder joints to crack due to stresses coused when connectors are inserted and removed.

JimB

I thought that would be the case. Would this power jack be acceptable? That should put most of the stress on the enclosure instead of the pcb. And this toggle switch should also be preferable to one that just protrudes through the box. Am I on the right track?

Some good laptops basically mounted the power inlet jack on a PCB with a small header. It makes it easy to replace.

You may find Fast-on terminals that will work for panel mount stuff.

Am I on the right track?
Yes, I think so. Much stronger mechanically.

The next problem of course is to ensure that there is no strain generated during assembly of the circuit board into the box, or in use due to mechanical distortion of the box.

Problems, problems! :)

JimB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back