Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Dual power supply for a processor

Status
Not open for further replies.
do not solder to a Ni-MH battery cell because there is plastic insulation inside that will melt.

You need a battery charger circuit, not just a simple resistor.

If the battery is completely discharged then your 160 ohm resistor will supply an average charging current of 65mA and it will take (2800/65) x 1.4= 60.3 hours for the battery to become fully charged. A battery charger circuit can safely charge a battery in 15 minutes, detects that the battery is fully charged, switch the charging current to a low trickle current or turn off.

Where would I obtain a device such as that which I could incorporate into my own circuits though? I already own a commercial AA NiMH battery charger, but unless I can disassemble it and be sure that I can connect it correctly to my own device, it won't be much use for this purpose.

Thanks for the warning about soldering NiMH batteries; I had already decided that getting a battery holder would be a better solution anyway.

Last edited:
Most semiconductor manufacturers make battery charger ICs. You switch between different battery types with a jumper wire or a switch. Two resistors set how many cells are in your battery. Sometimes a thermistor senses over-temperature to shut down the charger if something causes the battery to get too hot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back