Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

DSP applications for building a processor

Status
Not open for further replies.

trinity

We are final year engineering students and want to do a project on "VLSI Design of a DSP processor".Can someone please suggest some feasible application for which a dsp processor can be designed.

Are you planning to make it using FPGA or ASIC?

for u squintz

VLSI- Very large scale integration (Its a technique used to fabricate ICs )by integrating a large no of components.

DSP- Digital Signal Processing. Used to basically sample analog signals and condition them to transform them to digital form for processing.

Re: for u squintz

trinity said:
VLSI- Very large scale integration (Its a technique used to fabricate ICs )by integrating a large no of components.

DSP- Digital Signal Processing. Used to basically sample analog signals and condition them to transform them to digital form for processing.

and FPGA stands for: Field Programmable Gate Array.
ASIC: Application specific Integrated Circuit.

Will you write the cods using VHDL or Verilog?

is anyone working on this project?

we are working on the following project topic --"VLSI Design of a general purpose DSP processor" . if any of u can identify with this topic then please reply so that we can discuss the challenges that we will be requiring to face.

Re: is anyone working on this project?

trinity said:
we are working on the following project topic --"VLSI Design of a general purpose DSP processor" . if any of u can identify with this topic then please reply so that we can discuss the challenges that we will be requiring to face.

Why don't you check the site of Xilinx
Try to have a look on the application notes, it may help.
keep in touch with me, I'm interesting in your project.

Curious, why use VHDL and FPGAs to do a VLSI project? I believe DSPs require extremly precise resistors in the ADC and DAC which are not typically found in FPGAs as far as I know... or is there some kind of trick to get around this?

verilog hardware definition language -- used to setup programmable logic chips such as FPGAs
ADC -- analog to digital converter
DAC -- digital to analog converter

Or do you mean you're making FPGAs and not programming them? I can see that... that makes more sense

We are initially doing the VHDL part. About fpga's we'll bother later. we are planning to first design it in VHDL. and then merely testing the design.
By the way can anyone tell me where i can read about general architecture of DSP processors. Any site which can guide me to find good features from all the commercially available ones?

happy hunting

are 'very well tried' wishes in order since we think ur q still remains unanswered.
I suggest u implement a fast high precision calculator using a dsp processor. or a simple processor for character recoginition or something which is used to compress wave files(shivraman's proj was this)

Thanks Sherif welsen. The sites are helpful. We are presently busy preparing a synopsis for the project. shall let u know about the details once it is done.

we are planning to use fpga for the final design,so we needed to know whether, after implementation we will need to load an operating system for the processor to analyse its working......

any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back