Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Driving 16 vibrator motors. Chip suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pommie

Most Helpful Member
I'm trying to drive 16 micro vibrator motors that take 60mA at 3V. I can individually wire them or wire them as a matrix. Only one motor will be active at any time. So, for the individually wired option a 4 to 16 decoder with the ability to supply 60mA would be required. For the matrix solution 8 half bridges would be required. I need this to be small and so an SOIC solution would work best for me.

Anyone got suggestions for suitable chips or alternative ideas on how to drive these? I found these, which would be perfect but noway can I solder a 6 pin package with overall dimensions of 1.18 x 0.78 mm by hand. Insane.

BTW, the motors are tiny too - 10mm dia by 2.5mm thick. Gonna need my magnifiers for this.

Thanks,

Mike.

What selects the motors? Is it a microcontroller?

spec

Mike,

Which of these do you favor:
(1) 4 NPN transistors (BC337) & 4 PNP transistors (BC327) (Thru hole or surface mount) and 8 to 16 resistors. The transistors can be done with 4 chips.
(2) 4 NMOSFET & 4 PMOSFET (surface mount) can be done with 4 chips.
(2) One 4 input 16 out decoder/driver chip
(3) One 4 input 4x4 mux/driver chip

Chuck

Last edited:
If I can get a 4 to 16 decoder or a 16 output serial to parallel converter that can handle 60mA+, that would be ideal. Preferably in SOIC package.

Mike.

Last edited:
If you can stand the voltage drop across a Darlington output stage, I think the 5816 or 33996 will perform better than the "smarter" LED-oriented parts.

ak

Agree

The 3396 does have Darlington outputs but the 5816 has low sat outputs (I think).

spec

Last edited:
Thanks for all the help. The 33996 looks like it would do the job until I noticed minimum VCC of 5V and I need 3V. So, I'm going for as different approach. I'm going to put a small board on each motor with a DS2413 and a 2N7000 on each board. I can daisy chain the boards and have an initiation sequence where I add each motor in turn so the pic can learn the order. With surface mount I should be able to get the board size where I want it at 20x20 mm.

Data sheet https://www.farnell.com/datasheets/1911564.pdf

Mike.

Thanks for all the help. The 33996 looks like it would do the job until I noticed minimum VCC of 5V and I need 3V. So, I'm going for as different approach. I'm going to put a small board on each motor with a DS2413 and a 2N7000 on each board. I can daisy chain the boards and have an initiation sequence where I add each motor in turn so the pic can learn the order. With surface mount I should be able to get the board size where I want it at 20x20 mm.

Data sheet https://www.farnell.com/datasheets/1911564.pdf

Mike.

Let us know how it goes.

I daren't ask what you are doing with sixteen vibration motors.:D

spec

(PS your link above does not seem to work)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back