Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Driver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angel_Sosa

On Engineers Garage the article called:​

How to Display Text on 16×2 Character LCD​

Hello,

Where is the C code being executed? What type of device is it? The device the code runs from is that the device driving the 8051 ( 89c51 or 89c52 microcontroller )?

Thanks for your reply in advance

Yes. The 89C51 is a microcontroller that executes the C code (after it's been compiled) that has been loaded into it's internal memory.

Hi Chris,

I am very new to this type of technology. I appreciate the reply. I will also research on how to upload code to the 89C51 I am looking into how to build a stand alone display that I can connect to Power supplies for example that can output analog data. I am trying to avoid using an Arduino or Rasberry PI as an intermediate to the LCD.

Thanks Again
Angel

Most 16 X 2 have a controller onboard, but need intelligent formatting of
data displayed on them.

Do you want to display data on PC or on LCD ?

Regards, Dana.

On the 16x2 LCD. So basically I built a tachometer and I can measure the number of times the light gets interrupted. Displaying the data is my next step. Basically taking the out put of the tachometer sent to the LCD. I have the output going to a BeagleBone but that's good for prototyping but not for a self contained unit.

Thanks Dana

Angel

Hi Dana,
Would have a recommendation where I can pickup a pre-made 8051 AT89c51 / AT89c52 flasher. And the software to build the hex files to upload to the 8051

Hi Chris,

Would have a recommendation where I can pickup a pre-made 8051 AT89c51 / AT89c52 flasher. And the software to build the hex files to upload to the 8051
The more correct term is a programmer. A quick search for AT89c51 programmer returns lots of choices. A search for AT89c51 C compiler would probably give you lots of options.

FYI. MCS-51 (more commonly called 8051) The 8051 is one of the oldest microcontrollers out there. Intel developed it in about 1980. There are dozens of manufacturers making original and enhanced versions based on the 8051 core.

The AT89c51 was developed by Atmel, now owned by Microchip. A search of their site would be a good place to start.

Also Wikipedia has a lot of historical and background information on the 8051 family.

The 8051 series is rather old and not all that well supported.

For a new design you would be better off using such as a PIC MCU.
You could use such as a 20 pin PIC18 series one for many different projects, or a 28 pin DSPIC33 series if you want vast amounts of memory.

The different versions have numerous built-in peripherals, such as high speed timers, serial / I2C / SPI ports, PWM and a range of others, so making an all-in-one device is relatively simple, hardware-wise.

There are rather more people on here that use PICs that use the 8051 series, so you are likely to get rather better support.

To program them, you need such as a PICKIT4 (or PICKIT3) programmer, which is readily available from many places.
The software is free, "MPLab X" from Arizona Microchip (micrrochip.com).

There are even ones as small as 8 pins (power and six input/output), but still a 32MHz CPU with many peripherals (pic16f18313).

Then there are families of parts with a rich set of analog peripherals, as well as single and dual core ARM
cores, and a fabric to create custom onchip components. And internally and externally routable.

1640863413489.png

In addition community making onchip components, like DDS, 74HC equivalents, CORDIC, .......In PSOC language a component
is an onchip resource.

From codeless designs to minimalist code to "normal" C/ASM designs. IDE (PSOC Creator) and compiler free.

Regards, Dana.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back