Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

drive a maxim 6952 with an arduino

Status
Not open for further replies.

bob1954

I am looking to drive a maxim 6952 ic with an arduino.
Shows how to do it with an AT89C51 and the code contains a reference to a REGX51.H library for driving the AT89C51.
I couldn't find anyway to register on there to ask a question but when I clicked on the forum link it sent me here.
Can anyone tell me if the software is similar enough to arduino software to work?
If I try to compile it with the arduino IDE it points out that it can't find the REGX51.H library and then a few more lines that I assume are in the library which is for the AT89C51.
Is there a similar library/sketch for the arduino?

Otherwise does anyone know of any instance of a sketch for an arduino driving a maxim 6952 that I could alter for my use?

Thanks,
Bob

They are not similar enough to waste your time with it. To make it work with an Arduino you'll need to read the 6952 datasheet and build it from the ground up.

What compiler are you using?? I can give you the library reference.. ie on keil that is the library... on other compilers it will be different.

If you want to use the arduino IDE you will need alot of changes to that code.

If you want to use the arduino IDE you will need alot of changes to that code.

Would you?, it looks pretty straight forward simple code, and would require very little changes to be made.

Or just use an Arduino library?.

Would you?, it looks pretty straight forward simple code, and would require very little changes to be made.
First you would need to configure the Arduino to even SEE the AT89 also that chip is parallel programming.

So quite a bit to do... There a JSON file but you need a bit of electrical wizardry's to program it.

Keil compiler or SDCC will give you a hex code, but you will need something like the TL886 to program it.

There is a serial programable AT89, but that isn't it.

I assumed the Arduino would talk direct to the 6952, not via an AT89. I also assume (but not looked) that the library is in C and not asm.

Mike.

First you would need to configure the Arduino to even SEE the AT89 also that chip is parallel programming.

So quite a bit to do... There a JSON file but you need a bit of electrical wizardry's to program it.

Keil compiler or SDCC will give you a hex code, but you will need something like the TL886 to program it.

There is a serial programable AT89, but that isn't it.

One of us seems very confused?, I'm hoping its not me? :D

Isn't the question simply about driving the MAX6952 from an Arduino?, and the code linked to in post #1 is very simple, and easy to convert. Or, as I also suggested, the OP could just use the Arduino library.

Thanks for the replies.
I took a look at the github zip file for the 6952.
loaded it into my IDE.
If I go to sketch/include library it shows it as a contributed library but it doesn't show in my examples?
Acording to the github site there is a directory called examples that I assume holds the examples?
If I open it in the github site it shows one sketch file (an .ino file),
Code:
#include <MAX6952.h>

MAX6952 max6952 = MAX6952(23,18,5,8);

void setup() {
  // put your setup code here, to run once:

max6952.shutdown(0);
  max6952.setIntensity(15);

}

void loop() {
  // put your main code here, to run repeatedly:

max6952.setText("MAX6952",LEFT);
  delay(1000);
  max6952.setText("MAX6952",CENTER);
  delay(1000);
  max6952.setText("MAX6952",RIGHT);
  delay(1000);

max6952.setTextMarquee("MAX6952",200,CLASSIC,LEFT_TO_RIGHT);
  delay(1000);
  max6952.setTextMarquee("MAX6952",200,CLASSIC,RIGHT_TO_LEFT);
  delay(1000);

max6952.setTextMarquee("MAX6952",200,BOUNCE,LEFT_TO_RIGHT);
  delay(1000);
  max6952.setTextMarquee("MAX6952",200,BOUNCE,RIGHT_TO_LEFT);
  delay(1000);

}
If I open this in my IDE there is no indication of how to wire this up, anybody got any ideas why it is not showing in my examples and/ or how to wire it?

The .cpp file shows
Code:
    SPI_MOSI    =    dataPin;
    SPI_CLK        =    clkPin;
    SPI_CS        =    csPin;
would these equate to the pin 13 sck. pin 11 mosi and pin 10 ss of the arduino UNO being connected to the CLK, DIN, and CS pins of the max6952?

Last edited:
Thats what I thought but the sketch has
MAX6952 max6952 = MAX6952(23,18,5,8);
which means the dataPin is on pin 23, the clock is on 18 and there are 8 devices?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back