Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Drilling stands: Dremel 220 vs. Proxxon MB140/S review

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pavius

For some reason I automatically bought a dremel 220-01 stand to drill PCBs. After that turned out to be awful, someone recommended I look at Proxxon. A few boards later, I am extremely pleased with it.

Perhaps this video review can be useful for someone - check it out **broken link removed**. You can double click the vid to see in HD.

I bought the 220 a few months ago, drilled maybe 100 holes so far, no complaints. It was on sale for $28+shipping, which pushed the price up to almost $40. I was using an 8 inch bench top press for years, works well, but large and loud, little uncomfortable to stand there bent over drilling dozens of tiny holes. Figured the 220 would be nice on a desk, sitting down. Can't watch videos anymore, on dial-up again...

What sort of problems did you have with the Dremel 220? Just curious, since it's still basically new for me. Assembly was a little challenging, the instructions and diagram didn't accurately reflect the parts, but wasn't too tough to figure out what went where. Just wondering if there are any problems that will develop later, which might be corrected early.

The dremel 220 stand showed very poor stability. It attaches to the Dremel with a plastic screw so the bit does not stay 100% perpendicular to the ground. In fact, it generated larger holes in comparison with the proxxon with the same drill bit.

I read somewhere that there are a few versions of the drill stand with varying levels of quality - my review is of the latest (the 220-01). I am not the only one to voice these complaints. I'm not saying it's impossible to drill with it - it's just much less suitable for the job as opposed to the proxxon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back