Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Drawing simple schematics

Status
Not open for further replies.

zalmaflash

Can anyone recommend a preferably free program to draw simple schematics. I've tried LTspice, Express pcb, Tinycad, and none of them do what I want.

I want to draw spst switches, dpdt switches, batteries, leds, resistors, light bulbs, relays, basically analog stuff and everything would be hard wired - no printed cbs needed.

I have the old Electronics Workbench software but it won't run on a fast computer.

Example of what I want to draw; Boat wiring dia., car wiring dia., stuff that may or may not work, all 12vdc stuff.

I'm probably asking a question that has been asked 10000+ times before but I'm stumped.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Years ago I got TotalCAD off a magazine cover disc. It's a bit clunky to use but it has an extensive electrical bits library (as well as other libraries). May be still available as a free download somehere?

Most programs allow you to create parts for the parts library so you should be able to create parts as you mentioned.

However, if you only want to create schematics (no PCB design and no simulations) I among others use Orcad Lite at home from Cadence software, I also use Orcad at work. They offer a free download without expiration which is listed here. Scroll down to OrCAD PCB Designer Lite DVD (Capture & PSpice only) OrCAD 16.5 Demo Software (Capture and PSpice only) if you have an interest in it. My home version is Orcad Capture (that being for schematics) and the main limitation is maximum 60 parts (I think) per schematic for saving the drawing. The parts library is pretty robust and the software takes time to learn but overall is good stuff.

Ron

I use good on Windows MSpaint and have done so for many many years for simple through to complex circuits with excellent results....

have a look at several of my drawing on my www site as an example...

https://www.sydneystormcity.com/microwave.htm ---- 3/4 way down page, antenna drawings

https://www.sydneystormcity.com/24GHz.htm ----- several drawing on this page click on them to see full size

just make up your component symbols and save them to a file so you can copy and paste into a new schematic
hey you can even copy my symbols if you like :)

cheers
Dave

Last edited:
I use , and I wouldn't even think of ever using anything else. It is very user-friendly, easy to use, and you can easily create a PCB from a schematic drawn in the schematic editor. An additional feature is that if you download eagle3d as well, you can upload the eagle board files into the program and it will give you a 3-dimensional rendering. It is really a great program. The Lite version is (of course) free, and it is what I use now. I highly recommend it.

Regards,
Der Strom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back