Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

dramatically failed jump-starting

Status
Not open for further replies.
I once had a similar problem with my wife's car. I started the car (The starter turned the engine as fast as normal.) I stalled the engine and when I turned the key to start it again there was not even a click from the starter solenoid.

Many years ago I had a similar problem with a brand new battery, start the car and it worked fine. Next start - clunk. Next start - fine.
The battery was replaced with another new one and it all worked OK after that.

JimB

If there is a problem with the negative cable, I believe I should measure the resistance of this cable, so putting the multimeter in parallel to the cable, pointing the negative and the body; in this case, if any problem with this connection happens I'd see a high value of resistance.
That is correct. Although I would check the resistance back through the engine block. In either case, the resistance should be at zero or very close to it.
... the resistance between the negative and the body or block is only the resistance of the multimeter ...
Do not concern yourself with the internal resistance of the multimeter when checking resistance. It has no bearing on the value of resistance it displays.

I should add that this test is probably not needed, but no harm in doing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back