Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

DPDT relay specifications

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have designed a motor driver using DPDT relay. My motor ratings are as follows-
Voltage-24V
Power-150W
RPM-150
Motor takes peak current of 12A when there is immediate transition from stop to full forward/reverse. During continuous run it takes current around 2A. In my application I need such instant transitions more frequently than the continuous run. What should be the rating of my relay (like coil voltage and contact current)? I have got this one-

Attachments

• RLY003.jpg
    RLY003.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 283
How about a link to the relay data sheet, I can hardly read that image.

Ron

The coil is a 12 volt coil. Yes, I see the contacts are rated 30 volts at 5 amps DC. Based on your post I would not use it. Generally a 12 volt coil automotive relay can be had cheap and handle 30 amps. I would look that way. Also if the motor will only turn in one direction (same polarity all the time) I would place a fly back diode across it.

Ron

I have recently done such a project .... my motor ratings were 40V ,10A ,300 RPM and i used FETs to control the speed and relays for direction control .......

I have recently done such a project .... my motor ratings were 40V ,10A ,300 RPM and i used FETs to control the speed and relays for direction control .......

I am talking about the same circuit. Can you please tell me your relay specifications?

I am talking about the same circuit. Can you please tell me your relay specifications?

The last post (Post #5) used FETs and not a relay. Also I had suggested:

Generally a 12 volt coil automotive relay can be had cheap and handle 30 amps. I would look that way. Also if the motor will only turn in one direction (same polarity all the time) I would place a fly back diode across it.

If you want to use relays get a few automotive relays designed for the higher current DC loads.

Ron

I have used FETs for speed cntrl n relay for direction and therez no much specs for relay i mean its just for switching and as the system is totally isolated so u just find a little heavy relay .... not much difficult

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back