Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Download Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhilTIlson

Hi - I'm hoping someone will be able to offer a solution to my problem, as I have seen that both Oshonsoft and MPLAB are discussed on this forum!

I have read the sticky(!), but didn't see any reference that seemed appropriate to my dilemma.

My problem is that I have come back to microcontrollers after several years and my poor old brain is finding it much harder than before! I have a parallel PIC programmer called a PIC Tutor and on the back of the circuit board it says "PIC TUTOR V2 1".

I have recently purchased PIC Basic with the PIC Simulator from Oshonsoft as it seemed to offer a number of advantages. The problem is that, though I can write and compile a simple PIC Basic program, when I try to download it using MPLAB, it goes through the motions, but nothing will run. If I use one of the MPLAB sample programs and download that, everything is fine, so the programmer works ok.

My PIC Basic program runs perfectly in the Simulator - I just cannot get it to download via the MPLAB software to the PIC Tutor. I'm thinking that this may be something to do with the configuration bits, but as I'm using a 16F84A at the moment, there aren't actually many options, and I think I've tried them all!

Can anyone please offer any ideas as to how I can get this going?

i'm newbie obviously, i use these two programmers to "write" my hex to the 16f84, winpic and picprog. If by download you were referring to writing the hex.

Posting your code / schematic would be helpful.

I could do, Bill, but I have tried three or four PIC Basic programs and none of them will download. On the other hand, ALL the sample MPLAB programs will download. So unless there is something fundamentally wrong with the PIC Basic environment (which I do not believe to be the case) I don't believe it's anything to do with the actual program. Even a really simple thing generating a dozen or so bytes of code won't load.

i'm newbie obviously, i use these two programmers to "write" my hex to the 16f84, winpic and picprog. If by download you were referring to writing the hex.

The problem here is that the programmer requires the MPLAB software to drive it - as far as I know! Unless anyone knows different?

blue can we use some kind of adapter like parallel to USB port (if there was one)? i know there's serial to USB. You think it'd still work?

blue can we use some kind of adapter like parallel to USB port (if there was one)? i know there's serial to USB. You think it'd still work?

No it won't, it only supports specific MicroChip programmers, all of which have onboard processors, it's the actual processor on the programmer that does the programming, MPLAB just sends the data to it (using a pretty complicated protocol).

Hi - I'm hoping someone will be able to offer a solution to my problem, as I have seen that both Oshonsoft and MPLAB are discussed on this forum!

I have read the sticky(!), but didn't see any reference that seemed appropriate to my dilemma.

My problem is that I have come back to microcontrollers after several years and my poor old brain is finding it much harder than before! I have a parallel PIC programmer called a PIC Tutor and on the back of the circuit board it says "PIC TUTOR V2 1".

I have recently purchased PIC Basic with the PIC Simulator from Oshonsoft as it seemed to offer a number of advantages. The problem is that, though I can write and compile a simple PIC Basic program, when I try to download it using MPLAB, it goes through the motions, but nothing will run. If I use one of the MPLAB sample programs and download that, everything is fine, so the programmer works ok.

My PIC Basic program runs perfectly in the Simulator - I just cannot get it to download via the MPLAB software to the PIC Tutor. I'm thinking that this may be something to do with the configuration bits, but as I'm using a 16F84A at the moment, there aren't actually many options, and I think I've tried them all!

Can anyone please offer any ideas as to how I can get this going?

hi Phil,
The actual Basic prog will not run in MPLAB, but the Oshonsoft Basic creates an 'asm' file that can be used in MPLAB with a little editing.

Do you have a diagram for the PIC tutor.?

MPLAB is an IDE (development environment)

MPASM is all you need to assemble an ASM file into a HEX file.

Bill,
I think the OP knows that already, as I understand it he asking about Oshonsoft compatabilty with the program and the PIC Tutor.

Sorry guys - I told you the old brain wasn't working too well! :(

The downloader I have been using is PPPv3 from Matrix Multimedia, not MPLAB (which I also have on this system). Does that make any more sense now?

Phil

As far as I remember Oshonsoft offers a configurable programmer software free. you can set it up to suit your parallel programmer. Just write the prog in basic, compile with Oshonsoft, then use the programmer to write to the chip.

As far as I remember Oshonsoft offers a configurable programmer software free.
That would be nice! But I can't find any reference to this on their web site, unfortunately.

Are you sure the programmer works?
As I said in my original message: "If I use one of the MPLAB sample programs and download that, everything is fine, so the programmer works ok." - though I meant Matrix, not MPLAB, of course!

hi,
I built this OS prommer for a friend, it works OK.

Check the compatabilty with Nigels WinPIC prog, I have used both to give good results.

The software linked on the page works with the P16PRO40 referred to on Nigel's site and should work with all the usual parallel port programmers including the hardware described on the Oshonsoft site.

The software linked on the page works with the P16PRO40 referred to on Nigel's site and should work with all the usual parallel port programmers including the hardware described on the Oshonsoft site.

hi,
I know, thats why I have explained, I have used both.:)

Just select the correct switches on the setup and they are compatible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back