Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Double my sine frequency?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HeatherM

If I have two sine wave generators that max out at 12mhz is there a fairly simple way I can use passive components and maybe a few bjt/fet to phase change and merge their outputs into a 24mhz signal or something close?

I was thinking if they where properly out of phase with each other and giving proper feedback to keep them in that phase orientation then simply coupling their outputs via capacitor I could effectively see a 24mhz sign wave out the end.

Ty

Hi,

If the frequencies are both the same then there's no way to 'add' them without a non linear network.
Two 12MHz sine signals do add, but the result is another 12MHz sine signal of different amplitude or zero depending on phase.

To get twice the frequency a number of different methods are used. One is a tuned collector. Another is to use a bridge rectifier followed by a filter. The bridge rectifier converts the sine into a full wave signal which contains the 2nd harmonic. Then it's just a matter of filtering the other harmonics down low enough so that they dont matter to the output signal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back