Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

doppler laser

Status
Not open for further replies.

spuffock

If I bounce the beam from a laser pointer off something that's moving, say, a window pane in a room with an ongoing conversation, the return beam will be frequency modulated. Any good ideas about how to recover this signal? This topic will get stranger.........

spuffock said:
If I bounce the beam from a laser pointer off something that's moving, say, a window pane in a room with an ongoing conversation, the return beam will be frequency modulated. Any good ideas about how to recover this signal? This topic will get stranger.........

It's a common surveillance technique, but I couldn't say how it's done, presumably by comparing the received reflection with the transmitted beam?.

First off though, you don't want a visible beam :lol:

doppler laser and DSP

Visible is cheaper. Since I'm not spying on anyone, cheaper comes first.
However, it gets worse. I need to get the sounds from inside a strip of steel, which has an uneven surface and is going by at better than 50m/s.
The roar of the surface will swamp the signal in one beam, maybe if I use 3 or 4 and some sort of correlation technique? I think the DSP boys will be needed for this one.

better to draw a picture, your description lost some clarity during translation...

Try looking up a michelson inferometer on Google. I think this is the sort of system that the laser microphones use. Rather than measuring the doppler shift they measure the interfearance between a reflected beam and a non-reflected beam. The sensor is a simple photodiode.

measuring something with a laser that is going 50m/s is going to be tough. Can you mount a sensor to the metal itself?

Brent

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back