Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Don Smith Quick Mockup Circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tyrone Faulkner

Hi Guys,
I am plannning on building this Don Smith Quick Mockup circuit as described on pg 102 of the Smith.pdf (https://www.free-energy-info.com/Smith.pdf) –

It's very similar to the front half of a tesla coil and I thought you guys might be able to answer a few questions.
It seems pretty simple even for a beginner like myself. Although I am not sure how the two neon lamps (spark gaps) work together. I assume when the capacitor has been charged up to the break down voltage of the 2nd neon, the neon fires and the capacitor goes into resonance with the coil. Where does the 1st neon come into play? It must fire before the second one in order to charge the capacitor. Any assistance you can give on how these neons work together would be appreciated.
I should add Patrick Kelly (the author) has stated that he had to reverse one of the diodes to get the circuit to work. Either diode doesn't make any difference.

I should add Patrick Kelly (the author) has stated that he had to reverse one of the diodes to get the circuit to work.
In theory it shouldn't work at all. A 1N4007 has a rated reverse breakdown voltage of 1000V and the schematic calls for 2 x 4 in series, so the diodes should withstand 4000V (or 3000V if one diode is reversed). But the neon driver puts out only 2500V :confused:.

Could it be that the capacitor is charged via the bottom plate only until the neon breakdown voltage is reached. At this point both neons fire and the LC circuit goes into resonance until the neons stop conducting (when is this?) . Then the whole sequence starts over again.

If the diodes are up to spec and have the polarity as shown, even if one of the diodes is then reversed the capacitor can only charge by virtue of the leakage current through what is effectively 3 diodes in series. That will be much less than 5uA at 25C (the rated leakage current for one diode reverse biased 1000V) if the driver output is 2500V peak. However, if the driver output is 2500V RMS then the peaks of its output will exceed the breakdown voltage of 3 diodes in series and current pulses will occur (some 16mA in an LTspice simulation) :
Pulses.png

No other interpretation makes sense. I read it as one *string* is reversed, which is correct for normal half-wave rectification. But if the intent really is half wave rectification, why have two strings?

The schematic does not agree at all with the verbal description and visual image of the circuit. For example, there is nothing on the schematic about a wire running through the center of the inductor.

Things are confusing because of his repeated incorrect use of the phrase "in parallel".

ak

When the web-site URL includes the words "free energy" I don't have much faith in the schematic :rolleyes:.

When the web-site URL includes the words "free energy" I don't have much faith in the schematic
I wasted 5 minutes reading parts of the "pdf".
I wasted 5 minutes reading parts of his patents.
I wasted 20 minutes watching youtube video of people that clearly don't know electronics, how it works, what the parts do, and DON'T KNOW how to measure power.

From my point of view; I have wasted much energy for no output. Efficiency = 0%
From a electronics point of view; You can't pull 50 watts off the power line and light 200 watts of light bulbs. "no free lunch"
In one of the videos the "power is resonated" to 1khz to 200 watts. It looks, to me, like the "200 watts" is at 15% duty cycle, which is 30 watts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back