Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Does this switch exist? Also, latching tact switches?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, my first question is this:
I'm producing a product that has a number of foot switches in a row. The trouble is, only one of them can be on at once and I don't want to make more than 1 move to initiate the switch. So basically, I want it so that when I press a foot switch, 1 foot switch is down and the rest are up. But then, when I press a different foot switch, that one goes down but all the rest (Including the previously activated switch) pop up.

Any ideas?

Also, I can't seem to find latching tact switches? I need a lot of small switches, so I assumed tact switches would be okay, but I can't find any latching on eBay or a quick google search. Do they exist?

You could use ordinary momentary-action tact switches and do the latching electronically. Then use the latched states to control further switches/relays.

i have some switches like theese i will try and post a pic later, they are in a gang. take a look and if they are of use i will post you the part number

Here's my circuit for latching one-out-of-N switches electronically. It can be extended to any number of switches (only 3 shown in this example) by simply replicating the components shown in the dotted rectangle. The transistors here switch indicator LEDs, but can also be used to switch relays etc. The component values here are for a 9V supply, but can easily be varied for other supply voltages and load currents.

Attachments

• LatchingSwitches.pdf
    12 KB · Views: 323
Ahhh thanks. :) I'm trying to stay away from more components, but thanks anyway. :)

These ganged pedals all look good, just I need them an inch+ apart. :/

That's the problem, they are mechanically linked by a sliding bar that makes them work. Never seen mechanical ones that were spaced wide enough to be foot operated. Also, they are really quite delicate. Sometimes what seems the simple way is really more difficult. ;)

Ken

I posted this circuit on this forum before.
The 0.1uF across the "off" switch is required to turn on the off (ouch!) on power-up. All switches are momentary. The system is interlocking. E

Attachments

• 4xSwitch.jpg
    4xSwitch.jpg
    511 KB · Views: 298
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back