Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

does it work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bogdanfirst

you know the old TV games, and the new ones too have some joysticks with 4 buttons in a cross for directions and some other buttons for different purposes?
they have a connector wich is like the serial one in the computer....
what happents if i connect one like that to the computer? will it work?

You said "work." What did you want the controller to do?

I can't help myself...
When you move the joystick to your left, your computer will move itself to the left. Moving the joystick to the right will have the opposite effect. The device will not move your computer donward if your computer is sitting on a table. Finally, be especially careful of moving the joystick upward too quickly.

sorry....

Actually, I think the port you are speaking of is called the game controller port and is designed just for your joystick.

yes, i like your joke.....
i dont mean that, what i said is that the joystick from the game has a connector just like the 9 pin serial one wich the computer has....and i was curious if it will "work" so that connected to the seria port as a normal joystick, or if i will need an adaptor to connect it to the normal joystick port....
and my computer can only moove forvard, not left, not right...and myabe up, those are the only directions that it has room to moove :)

Glad you have a sense of humor. Normally a joystick is connected to the 15 pin female connector co-located on the sound card - usually adjacent to the three mini jacks (line in, line out, speakers). It's the same jack that is used for MIDI devices.

I regret I have no info about converting a serial port to game controller.

Bogdan

EDIT: Just re-read your post.

Only the very old PC games read the serial port for input - with a few exceptions - so you will be very lucky to get it working there. End of edit.

To connect it to the game port have a look at....

http://www.ctips.com/game.html

It has all the information you need to interface the 9 pin serial to a 15 pin game port.

Just make sure that the controller you have has no extra electronics onboard.

Have Fun :lol:

the first thing, the joystick i saw HAS electronics on board, some have an IC some just some diodes and transistors. but never mind that!
ok, now lets say i will make my own joystick, out of more wich are partially functional. if i might make a 2 potentiometer joystick, so i will have 2 pots, how many buttons can i add. i will use the joystick port, the 15 pin connector?
o, and thanks for the link!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back