Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Does Anyone Use "Viewmate"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Space Varmint

I drafted up a board in Eagle CadSoft and when I import it to Viewmate it does not import the drill file. I did my drill file in Excellon. Here's what I get:

Attachments

• Twink5-VM.gif
    Twink5-VM.gif
    48.8 KB · Views: 443
I installed Win7 and haven't reinstalled it, yet, but I've used it before. From what I remember it was a pain to figure out how to import the drill file and specify the file type.

I'll try to get it going again.

I think that Excellon outputs drill coordinates in ascii for use by the fabricator's machinery. So there is no Gerber drill info to put into Viewmate, I think. I've generated drill gerbers by mistake before and they showed up no problem in viewmate, but when I corrected to excellon it doesn't import because its not supposed to.

I finally reinstalled my version of Viewmate.

Your excellon drill file should be a TXT file. If you are trying to import the .dri file, that's the wrong one.

In viewmate select a new layer and select file->import->drill & route. Select Options on the bottom of the open screen that comes up. You may have to fiddle with this. I changed the default for zero's to 'all digits present' and changed the units to 'metric' and the file imported correctly.

Cool! Let me try it. I already submitted it to a couple of board houses and they didn't see a problem but I always like to check my work first. Thanks DirtyLude.

The excellon file extension is .txt

Here's the import parameters I used for this, but I think I used different parameters before. Anyway, this worked.

Image is big, I haven't installed my simple image resize programs, yet, so I'll just leave it as an icon.

Attachments

• viewmate-excellon.png
    viewmate-excellon.png
    180.5 KB · Views: 329
Oh great! Will have to try it later. Got to go pick up wife from hospital. She fractured her wrist. But thanks again. I tried importing the ".drl" and of course that didn't work...lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back