Does anyone know what this yellow substance is on my circuit board??

Status
Not open for further replies.

rego21

The yellow substance seems to be in the same places on both boards, I'm not sure if it's supposed to be there or not?? The circuit boards are from a power supply from a soundbar

It is sticky stuff, ie glue which was put there to help give some mechanical stability to larger, heavier components.

JimB

Many products go through a vibration test. Large components will fall off the board. The legs will brake after time. (glue)

Yes, I've replaced a number of PSU capacitors in 'Sony' soundbars - obviously it's NOT a Sony product, and is just bought in from China - because capacitors don't fail in 'real' Sony products as they fit higher quality ones than lesser manufacturers.

In fact I've got a Sony soundbar myself - I delivered a new one to a lady, and she asked me to take the old one and dispose of it for her. One quick capacitor later, and I disposed of it at my house

In fact, following your excellent link, if you check the original photos you can see that capacitor is domed, so most likely it's low ESR.

Appreciate the link you shared, you've saved me a lot of time, thanks a lot

Thanks for the insight. Yeah I replaced the capacitor mentioned in the link and that sorted the problem for the two of them

Thanks for the insight. Yeah I replaced the capacitor mentioned in the link and that sorted the problem for the two of them

It seems a VERY common problem - unfortunate that Sony would buy in such poorly made equipment, when it's usually so good

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…