Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

does anyone know how to build a NIC card?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is easier to buy one, they are so inexpensive. However, if you would like to interface one to a micro, there are several single chip ethernet controller parts around. Or you can bit bang an ISA card with a little work.

cool! --> bit bang ISA card

since my supervisor request me to get something to interface with uC, i have no choice to build one my self :( to show i understand the network protocol, although i know it's very inexpensive....

could u recommend any ethernet controller chip which is popular and widely adopted as a standard?

is PIC18 series from microchip is one of ethernet controller? or i have to buy another ethernet controller to interface with?

I saw a neat project using a NIC of the shell. what they did is just plug another PIC on it. my supervisor told me i cannt use this method. i have to build it all my own :(

The DS80C400 from Maxim is an 8051 microcontroller with a built in Ethernet interface. You can order samples free from the maxim website they were quite quick getting the samples out.

Zilog and rabbit semi have Microcontrollers with built in ethernet interfaces. If you do a search on digikey you should be able to get a development kit that will make your life much easier. 316-1005-ND is the digikey part number for the Rabbit Semi board.

If you really want a separate controller Crystal (part of cirrus logic) has a controller that should do the trick. I think Cirrus will send out free samples too.

I don't think there is a PIC with an ethernet interface but I don't know PICs very well.

By the way what application did you decide on for your topic?

Brent

a thermometer :oops:
basically my design is generic on, which will have a socket to interface with any device. i choose thermometer as a starting point. if i can manage to build it, then i will consider to develop the one you've suggested :lol:

my supervisor said it;s good for not to be too ambitious, or at the end of the day i may trap myself.

I am looking for the standard protocol for data acquision interfacing :) less headache if i change my application to some high end model

crust said:
It is easier to buy one, they are so inexpensive. However, if you would like to interface one to a micro, there are several single chip ethernet controller parts around. Or you can bit bang an ISA card with a little work.

RealTec NIC chips are cheap and not so difficult to interface

Starting with a thermometer is a good idea. Projects have a tendancy to take way longer than expected. My current rule is take how long you think it is going to take and multiply it by 4 or 5.

If you're looking for a standard protocol take a look at XML- works like HTML but is for generic data transfer.

Brent

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back