Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Does a ceramic filter have polarity?

Status
Not open for further replies.

avz

I've a kit of a circuit from Aliexpress (China). one of the components is a three leg ceramic filter, I understand that they are input, gnd and output. on one side, upper left, there is red dot. since I never dealt with it before, I would like to ask if there is a polarity to it and if so, what it is? I've tried to find the answer on the web but I found contradict information (at least that's what I think). in some places it seems that the red dot donates the output and on other places -just the opposite.
Thanx.

a three leg ceramic filter, I understand that they are input, gnd and output.
Correct.

if there is a polarity to it and if so, what it is?
There is no "polarity" as such, but depending on the exact filter, it may have been designed for different input and out impedances in the external circuitry.

A quick read of the Murata application notes,
Murata make probably more ceramic filters that anyone else, suggests that the input and output impedances are designed to be the same.

For your filter, I suggest that you put the dot at the input and call it good.
Nothing bad can happen, you will not cause a discontinuity in the space-time continuum. (Worst case scenario.).

JimB

Thanx for your replies. I don't know if it matters, but the filters frequency is 10.7Mhz.

I did find in a datasheet that it should not matter if the input and outputs are swapped.

Reference Datasheet page 8:
1594065179022.png

However in practice I have observed this to not always be true.

Reference Datasheet:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back