Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Dodge Caravan 2006, P0404 and P0406 OBD Code

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlainB

Hi,

They say that 98% of the time, these codes indicate a faulty EGR valve.

As you can see in the picture I dismantled my valve and found this obvious problem. This part inside, maybe a resistor, a diode or what else, is connected to both pins of the solenoid. The solenoid and the rest of the valve seem to work fine.

If I could find out what is this burn (or broken) part, I would replace it in the hope that it solve my problem. Otherwise, the price of this valve is 178$ plus tax at the dealer.

Any help is quite welcome.

Thanks!

Alain

egr-valve-jpg.75335

egr-cover-jpg.75336

egr-part-detail-jpg.75337

Attachments

• EGR Valve.jpg
    EGR Valve.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 12,791
  • EGR Cover.jpg
    EGR Cover.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 9,968
  • EGR Part detail.jpg
    EGR Part detail.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 10,503
Last edited:
My guess would be the burnt item is a diode, for back-emf suppression. It would be a reverse-biased diode with a current-rating > the solenoid peak current.

Yes, It really look like a diode. This compare to a diode that I have in my part box. The diode number from my box is is 315-6GI818 but I don't find any reference for it.

The solenoid resistance is 8 Ohms. Would you have a part number that I could try?

Alain

@shortbus, Thanks for the link!

diode-jpg.75340

Attachments

• Diode.jpg
    Diode.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 9,418
Last edited:
Almost anything, including a 1n4001 to 1n4007 is likely to work. It doesn't have to be Schottky or fast-recovery...

Changing the diode with the one that I had got rid of the P0404 for a few days but it came back. The P0406 came back right away.

I will order a new EGR valve from rockauto.com along with other parts. The price is really very good compare to the best price that I found locally (125$).

For a total of 115$ CAD this, as I asked them, including shipping, taxes and everything else I will get the better valve plus a set of Champion 7440 spark plugs.

The shipping to Canada is more expensive I suppose in part because of the duty fees.

BTW if ever you have a 2006 Caravan, there is a hard way and an easy way to remove the valve from the motor. Here is the easy way.

Last edited by a moderator:
I received the valve and the spark plugs and installed everything. No more code up to now.

The duty and import fees were included in the price. My credit card was charged 118$ CAD, including bank fees.

A total saving of over 50$ for me plus maybe a better valve quality.

Thanks again shortbus= for the link.

Alain

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back