Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Do you ever have a bad week!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I should have given that a go at the start, I am so near now it would be a bit like giving up at the last minuet

When I told the periodontist that his care was sub par and it cost be $13,000.00 USD, he just said anothe rpatient had to spend $45.00.00 US. He also got a bad posted review outside of his reach.

Incredible costs for our standards! Now I understand the frequent questions I was asked by people from USA about tretaments and prosthesis here. In the last years, heard of some coming here just for that!

Even one of my daughters became a frequent guide for Americans visiting a part of the city she knows well. Go figure...

So, about $5K USD for each implant. Then there was a $1500 or so for an onlay and other sundry expenses. In the mid 90's, an implant was about $1000 USD placed wo extraction, and about $600 for the restoration. Now it's like 3-4K for extraction/placement and about $1.2K USD for the restoration. My dental insurance pays about 1/2 the "covered cost" and a $1500 total limit for the fiscal year.

Hi Sue,
Just another note from your bottom-dwelling brother.

Last week I had a bad day at the office. I know you've been feeling down
lately at work, so I thought I would share my dilemma with you to make
you realize it's not so bad after all. Before I can tell you what happened
to me, I first must bore you with a few technicalities of my job. As you
know, my office lies at the bottom of the sea. I wear a suit to the office.
It's a wet suit. This time of year the water is quite cool. So what we do
to keep warm is this: We have a diesel powered industrial water heater. This
$20,000 piece of equipment sucks the water out of the sea. It heats it to a
delightful temperature. It then pumps it down to the diver through a
garden hose, which is taped to the air hose.

Now this sounds like a darn good plan, and I've used it several times
with no complaints. What I do, when I get to the bottom and start working,
is take the hose and stuff it down the back of my wet suit.

This floods my whole suit with warm water. It's like working in a Jacuzzi.
Everything was going well until all of a sudden, my butt started to itch.
So, of course, I scratched it.

This only made things worse. Within a few seconds my butt started to
burn. I pulled the hose out from my back, but the damage was done. In agony
I realized what had happened. The hot water machine had sucked up a jellyfish
and pumped it into my suit. Now, since I don't have any hair on my back,
The jellyfish couldn't stick to it, however, the crack of my butt was not as
fortunate.

When I scratched what I thought was an itch, I was actually grinding the
jellyfish into the crack of my butt.

I informed the dive supervisor of my dilemma over the communicator. His
instructions were unclear due to the fact that he, along with five other
divers, were all laughing hysterically. Needless to say, I aborted the dive.

I was instructed to make three agonizing in-water decompression stops
totaling thirty-five minutes before I could reach the surface to begin
My chamber dry decompression. When I arrived at the surface, I was wearing
nothing but my brass helmet. As I climbed out of the water, the medic,
With tears of laughter running down his face, handed me a tube of cream and

Told me to rub it on my butt as soon as I got in the chamber. The cream put
The fire out, but I couldn't crap for two days because my butt was swollen
shut.

So, next time you're having a bad day at work, think about how much
worse it would be if you had a jellyfish shoved up your butt. Now repeat to
yourself, 'I love my job, I love my job, I love my job.' Whenever you
have a bad day, ask yourself, is this a jellyfish bad day?

May you NEVER have a jellyfish bad day! !!!!

Messed up in the lab today, totaly forgot to put the gloves on when taking some sodium hydroxide prills out to make a solution. I must have got some on my hand and a few hours after I have a small but very painful burn. I am surprised I didnt notice it but I was sort of preoccupied and concentrating, normally I feel it sting fairly quickly this is the first time its actually burnt and taken a small patch of skin off.
I also forgot the safety eye shield but lucky enough no splashes to the face, that stuff blinds instantly. I probably need some sleep, but I am getting some exciting results with one of my methane reactors. i have worked so hard on this I didnt want to mess it up, I have isolated a new culture from the vessel and will probably try and PCR it to get a genetic finger print, its definitely not one of the original culture organisms and cant be a contamination. So I am finally getting a few hybrids that look promising. I need to read dads notes on how to chop the 5 prime end and take 4 base pairs off to read.

LG:
You need to do a few things based on my training.

1. Create a binder of the MSDS's of all the chemicals used in "your lab". It should be VISIBLE and Labeled MSDSs.
2. For processes, perform a "Job Hazard Analysis" before doing them and document. It's pretty simple to do, but your really identifying the personal protective equipment that you need and what the hazards are and what the spill cleanup and waste disposal will be.
3. No unknown chemicals are permitted ever. They must be labeled.
4. Every once in a while perform a "safety inspection".

LG:
You need to do a few things based on my training.

1. Create a binder of the MSDS's of all the chemicals used in "your lab". It should be VISIBLE and Labeled MSDSs.
2. For processes, perform a "Job Hazard Analysis" before doing them and document. It's pretty simple to do, but your really identifying the personal protective equipment that you need and what the hazards are and what the spill cleanup and waste disposal will be.
3. No unknown chemicals are permitted ever. They must be labeled.
4. Every once in a while perform a "safety inspection".

I do actually do most of this, i also have COSHH records and the firebrigade no where the COSHH list is as I also have a cylinder of hydrogen and propane. I keep an upto date lab book so if the police come asking questions all my experiments are documented, I dunno I just went blank and didnt do a thing the way I normally do.
I use chlorine etc so have Led lights on backup if the power goes, my fume hood has a sash window that has a break on power fail bolt, so the power goes and the sash closes. I have kill switches for the power and one for all power including the fan on the fume hood. All oxidizers are stored at one end in a metal cabinet and all reducers at the other end. <y acids are in a lab fridge and other more dodgy chemicals like bromine are ampuled and kept in a freezer in separate containers.
I have the correct gloves for each type of acid and base, I am anal on safety but still for no reason I went into stupid mode and didnt follow a single normal thing I would do.
If I dont get my head back in the game soon then lab work is out for a while. It was sodium hydroxide which is bad enough but compared to many the chemicals I handle its a pussy cat, The goggles bother me alot because the first time I used hydroxide my dad put a pigs eye in a beaker of it to demonstrate what happens if you get it in your eyes. Never have I ever not worn eye protection in the lab! I also where what looks like fishing waders to chest height, they resist most chemicals.
I thought it was a bit overkill until the day I had a 1ltr flask of hot 98% sulphuric acid have the bottom drop off it as I lifted it out the heating bath, the heat got through a little but no acid, I have clean up kits and it was not a big deal.
I think if I am honest I am not in the right frame of mind to be lab working at the mo, but I have put so much effort in on this and the yeast stuff. I will probably get a friend to come over and help out. I am almost sleepwalking at the moment, not a good state to be in a lab in. Because of UK law I have to operate under a company my mum set up so I could own and order certain chemicals like nitric acid (conc), its illegal here to own it otherwise, so even my little lab is run like a business (money loosing lol), but she makes me do all the paperwork required like the safety COSHH stuff and MSDS, I even do them for the stuff I synth.
This was purely stupidity with the brain firmly in the off position. The hand hurts alot today.
People think acids are bad but strong bases take some beating for pain :D. I am making chlorine later in the week for a synth of a strong bleaching powder I use to make Chloroform with IPA, I wont be doing it unless I get my head together

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back