Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

DMX vs Audio Cable Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neal

Are there any adverse problems arrising from using DMX cable for audio cable? This is the 3 pin XLR connector. Want to use the cable from microphone to mixer. I believe the DMX cable is 120 ohms impedence and the audio cable is supposed to be 72 ohms impedence. Will the audio be degraded signifigantly? Have not tried it yet, wanted some advise first.
Thanks,
Neal

Depends on distance, and actual impedance of the microphone and mixer. At short distances it won't matter. What is your quality expectation?

Forgot to mention the distance is 100 ft. It's just picking up audio above stage area for a play, as long as we get something decent, it should be ok.
Is 100 ft. too long?

Also let me add, at a 100ft, I think it will sound like crap, but I have been wrong before.

I just took an end off the connector to see, it looks like 2 conductors, both are shielded individually and shields tied together.

I hate when I am wrong. I guess you should just try it and see. Or is that listen.

Will be not able to test til tomorrow at facility, however am hopeful it should be ok. I now think the new DMX cables will be ok for audio. However, I believe the old standard single shielded audio cable may be too noisey for DMX controller aplications. Will post results after I can test it out tomorrow night.

If it's shielded you're probably fine. If you get a lot of 60hz hum try cutting the shield grounds at the mic and keeping them separate. The shields only need to be saftey grounded at the mixer/amp they'll ground out anything the 100ft of wire picks up.

Last edited:
Audio cable doesn't have a specific impedance, it's not used as an impedance matched system.

As long as the cable is well screened, the inner cores are twisted, and it's anti-microphonic, then it will be fine.

If, as you say, the cores are individually screened, then it won't be as good at rejecting external noise and interference.

Are there any adverse problems arrising from using DMX cable for audio cable? This is the 3 pin XLR connector. Want to use the cable from microphone to mixer. I believe the DMX cable is 120 ohms impedence and the audio cable is supposed to be 72 ohms impedence. Will the audio be degraded signifigantly? Have not tried it yet, wanted some advise first.
Thanks,
Neal

Update DMX cable worked fine for audio, no hum, good quality

Oh no, I see a red square coming for me. Don't I feel silly :(
Glad it worked out for you ...

Oh no, I see a red square coming for me. Don't I feel silly :(
Glad it worked out for you ...

You've obviously not done PA or recording, the low impedance and balancing of the mikes allows long cables with minimum loss. Using high impedance mikes means you can only have short leads, otherwise you get HF loss, due to the impedance of the mike and the capacitance of the cable forming a low-pass filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back