Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

DMX protocol

Status
Not open for further replies.

computer

Hi,

I run a lot of DMX-512 compatible lighting equipment and I am wondering if anyone knows how I could make a small 4 channel output unit using DMX control signals. The idea is this:

Use a chip with some code which accepts the DMX + and - signal on two of its inputs, probably through optoisolators. It'll have it's DMX address hard coded.

I want to have 4 outputs on the pic respond to the 4 input channels. IE, it'll use DMX channels 1-4, and if channel 1 is set to more than 50% (128) then it'll output the normal 5v for connection to LEDs on one of its outputs. And these will be mutually exculsive - no channels will affect each other, they'll work independantly).

anyone know of a guide or have ideas I can use?

computer

computer said:
Hi,

I run a lot of DMX-512 compatible lighting equipment and I am wondering if anyone knows how I could make a small 4 channel output unit using DMX control signals. The idea is this:

Use a chip with some code which accepts the DMX + and - signal on two of its inputs, probably through optoisolators. It'll have it's DMX address hard coded.

I want to have 4 outputs on the pic respond to the 4 input channels. IE, it'll use DMX channels 1-4, and if channel 1 is set to more than 50% (128) then it'll output the normal 5v for connection to LEDs on one of its outputs. And these will be mutually exculsive - no channels will affect each other, they'll work independantly).

anyone know of a guide or have ideas I can use?

If you search on google you will find various DMX/PIC projects out there!.

This is very straightforward to do, you can use any PIC, AVR, or other micros to decode DMX. You normally use an RS485/RS422 part to take in the differential serial data and output something compatible with the micros UART. The DMX protocol is well documented and there are lots of projects out there that do something similar to what you want.

Hi,

I was trying to locate something I could run on a PIC-AXE chip (www.picaxe.co.uk) to make it easy to program them as I don't have any PIC programmers at home, and would need to borrow them.

Sorry for not saying that first off, but if anyone could help me on that, as google is hard to locate info on about PICAXE and DMX.

computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back