Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

DMA controller design

Status
Not open for further replies.

varav

Hi Friends,
I am working on a dma controller project. I have an laptop running on windows xp and this project is based on 8086 processor. Please someone guide me as to what software I would be needing to start assembly coding for this project.

Thank you and appreciate all the help and guidance.

Thank you very much. and so, is that all I need for this project?
Do I need any other hardware?

thank you

Thank you very much. and so, is that all I need for this project?
Do I need any other hardware?

thank you

You also need a clue in what your doing. With an 8086 your system will be so slow already, I doubt the DMA will speed things up enough to matter.

Have you identified the bottleneck that makes you think you need DMA? Why not get a more up to date processor?

well, its an academic project. I have a laptop running on windows xp. My previous assembly language projects were on a breadboard with all the required chips. I have never done one before with a laptop and 'C' programmed a controller.
As far as the theoritical part of a DMA controller, I have done all the studying thats required for the project. I am posting here in this forum, because I need some help from experts like you and others.
I am an off campus student and do not have the advantage of discussing with my classmates.

Again I really appreciate your time and guidance.

What C compiler are you using? Does it have asm capability?

I am using visual studio 2008 and MASM. The question that I had is that after I code a particular functionality of 8237 DMA, lets say for example I am simulating a tranfer from floppy to mem. How do I go about testing it?
I am not able to get this in the right perspective. I am used to C/C++ programming where I read in data and process it and see the result.

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you very much

You need hardware or a decent $$$$ simulator to test it.

Get yourself an old IBM PC or clone, they had 8088 & 8237 chips on them. If you're really lucky the original IBM manual included the BIOS source code and full schematic.

You need hardware or a decent $$$$ simulator to test it.

Get yourself an old IBM PC or clone, they had 8088 & 8237 chips on them. If you're really lucky the original IBM manual included the BIOS source code and full schematic.

THank you so very very much. I will start looking around immediately to get myself a simulator or a machine like one that you mentioned.

Again thank you very much. I really appreciate your help, thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back