DMA controller design

Status
Not open for further replies.

varav

Hi Friends,
I am working on a dma controller project. I have an laptop running on windows xp and this project is based on 8086 processor. Please someone guide me as to what software I would be needing to start assembly coding for this project.

Thank you and appreciate all the help and guidance.

Thank you very much. and so, is that all I need for this project?
Do I need any other hardware?

thank you

Thank you very much. and so, is that all I need for this project?
Do I need any other hardware?

thank you

You also need a clue in what your doing. With an 8086 your system will be so slow already, I doubt the DMA will speed things up enough to matter.

Have you identified the bottleneck that makes you think you need DMA? Why not get a more up to date processor?

well, its an academic project. I have a laptop running on windows xp. My previous assembly language projects were on a breadboard with all the required chips. I have never done one before with a laptop and 'C' programmed a controller.
As far as the theoritical part of a DMA controller, I have done all the studying thats required for the project. I am posting here in this forum, because I need some help from experts like you and others.
I am an off campus student and do not have the advantage of discussing with my classmates.

Again I really appreciate your time and guidance.

What C compiler are you using? Does it have asm capability?

I am using visual studio 2008 and MASM. The question that I had is that after I code a particular functionality of 8237 DMA, lets say for example I am simulating a tranfer from floppy to mem. How do I go about testing it?
I am not able to get this in the right perspective. I am used to C/C++ programming where I read in data and process it and see the result.

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you very much

You need hardware or a decent $$$$ simulator to test it.

Get yourself an old IBM PC or clone, they had 8088 & 8237 chips on them. If you're really lucky the original IBM manual included the BIOS source code and full schematic.

You need hardware or a decent $$$$ simulator to test it.

Get yourself an old IBM PC or clone, they had 8088 & 8237 chips on them. If you're really lucky the original IBM manual included the BIOS source code and full schematic.

THank you so very very much. I will start looking around immediately to get myself a simulator or a machine like one that you mentioned.

Again thank you very much. I really appreciate your help, thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…