Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

DIY Power Supply Idea

Status
Not open for further replies.

bryan

Since digital multimeters are so cheap. I have seen a few at discount places for as low as 5.00. Could I not hack one apart and add it to a adjustable power supply to show the output voltage.

Any reason why this would not work.

thanks

Of course: yes, but must keep the battery powering, because the multimeters input common not connected to battery negative. If you can make some reverse engineering to discover the type of A/D converter and find a datasheet, most of case possible connecting the measure input common with supply negative if You apply an additional negative supply.

I guess I could switch the battery power to the multimeter from the power supply switch (DPDT).

Could I not run a separate power supply for the multimeter before the regulator on the adjustable power supply?

No, You need a separated winding on trafo, but better to use a small DC/DC converter.

transformers

transformers are great. they isolate electricity, and they change voltages up/down.

as long as you are using a transformer then convert that to DV,a nd regulate it down (9 volts) then the meter will be fine. the transformer isolates the ground from power ground, so the multimeter can do its job right. if you were to just put a small 12v transformer, cap and bridge ud be ok, with a 9v regulator. you could also just use a 9v DC power adapter and put it inside ur box. its the same idea, since its all runninf from 120v ac, and ur using transformers to isolate from the other voltage anyways.

yes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back