Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

DIY PIC24FJ1024GB610 breakout board,

Status
Not open for further replies.

granddad

Most Helpful Member
There are massive resources available on this 100 pin chip. I had not intended it for any specific project, but I saw it as an ideal platform, just right for developing routines / drivers for the many peripherals and I/O ( 85 pins on 7 ports ). including its 1Mb flash and 32k ram. The BOB board was ordered from thaishopetc.com via eBay. I had 3 for 7USD and a month for post man... Thc PIC from Farnell UK < 5GBP . The board (2”x2”) has 4 banks of 0.1” holes for double headers and is numbered ,the top side has the 100 .4mm TQFP pads and 6 holes for a ICSP plug ( std PICkit3 layout ) most of the necessary SMD de-coupling, Vpp isolation, Vcap etc are mounted on the lower side .

The photos show the stages of mounting the chip . Needless to say but, the most important is the careful positioning of the chip on the pads, the board was carefully cleaned and a flux pen used to coat the pads, the chip very accurately positioned and held with a clamp device, the flux now a bit sticky helps. A third hand magnifying glass essential here.

Soldering iron was 12w with a .5mm tip. The 4 corner pairs of pins were soldered (tacked) first, the clamp then removed and each side has solder applied to all pins, do it quick, make sure it flows, It will be one long blob ! Wait between sides for chip to cool. !

The excess solder can now be removed with a good quality solder mop using the side of the iron rather than the tip, try to do all the 25 pin at a time dragging the mop braid away from the chip, Use fresh braid each time ( flux braid lightly if necessary ) It should leave just the pins and pads coated … any stray bridges can be rectified individually with braid and iron tip, again wait between sides, clean up with Isopropyl alcohol and a small brush.

Check with DMM on pin holes for shorts check 1-2 then 2-3 etc ( only 100 to do ) add the resistors and capacitors and ICSP pin header, also add links for AVdd (30) and VUSB3.3 (55) to Vdd as these are left floating. ( The PIC won't be detected if you do not power these pins) Check Vdd and Vss is where it should be .

The silicon gods must have been watching over me as MPLABX found the chip, second time of asking... Plan is to mount it on a support board with 3.3 Voltage supply and FTDI serial port .
For a PICaholic like me this exercise was great fun ….
mess.jpg

done.jpg

back.jpg

Attachments

• 24fjBB.jpg
    24fjBB.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 378
Last edited:
hmm, any chance I could trade you money for a stuffed board?
Contact Atomsoft and let him know what you want, he is on here but you need to pm him. he normally dosnt mind knocking up boards to sell in his shop

Perfect, I'll order the breakout board. Are you also using their dev kit? If so is their SD card bus SDIO or just SPI?

I would suggest less solder next time. You'll find even if you missed some pins the solder wicking will get everything.

Are you also using their dev kit? If so is their SD card bus SDIO or just SPI?
PAS. Short answer , sorry I don't know , guess I am not in that league , I put the BOB on legs and mounted it on strip board, with 3.3 v, this is how far I have got, all was going well , until XC16. v125 complains about my dual partition code, ( I am not a programer ) so on back burner for the moment.
FJ1024.jpg

less solder next time.
Agree , I think I need some of that really thin solder , only have 22swg 40/60 !

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back