Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

DIY electronic ignition - v8

Status
Not open for further replies.

69Pontiac

Hi guys! first post here!

Im endeavoring on a little attempt to make my own electronic ignition.. I have found some interesting info online - one in particular is this one:

**broken link removed**

A similar system is seen running here:

Here is the chip that was burned out - I managed to get the plastic resin off ok -

Can anyone try help identify a replacement? I tried reading the last 2 numbers, Either 6 or G and B/P..
DSC_6283.jpg

I have a pertronix unit that was given to me and it was burned out. Being the fellow I am I opened it up and found a very similar looking system inside. This guy built his for $10..

Here is his schematic:

**broken link removed**

I have all the hardware (magnetic wheel) and its made for my distributor - all I need is to make a little device like in the video to pickup the magnets flying past -

Has anyone done this? And can you shed some light? Am I correct that what is done in the video is what will happen inside the distributor except it will be triggered by the pickup coil instead?

Last edited:
One of the problems with that simple circuit, is some times the unit may be energising the coil when the engine stops. This depends on where the magnet happens to stop, this could well burnout the switching IGBT. Comercial Hall drive systems have a current sensing circuit that limits the current draw if this happens.

This Ford Distributor Module is designed for a Hall sensor, & it has the current limiting built in. I pick these up for free from a local scrap merchant before he crushes the car. Probably quite cheep where you are. They do need to be mounted on a heat sink.
FORD TFI MODULE.JPG

This you might find interesting on Ford TFI/ Hall ignition systems, It was part of a Fuel injection course I did some years ago.EB.4.jpg EB.5.jpg EB.6.jpg EB.7.jpg EB.8.jpg EB.9.jpg

Thanks everyone for the awesome replies! I forgot to mention that apart from knowing a diode is directional and to use the soldering iron when its hot - all this elec stuff is like rabbit fur in my brain! So VERY grateful for helping me with this project!

One of the problems with that simple circuit, is some times the unit may be energising the coil when the engine stops. This depends on where the magnet happens to stop, this could well burnout the switching IGBT. Comercial Hall drive systems have a current sensing circuit that limits the current draw if this happens.

Hi yes I believe that was the problem with the first version of this unit - if you left the key on it would fry the unit (probably what happened to this one). Im very conscious of this as Ive been driving old cars my whole life :)

I am trying to fit this inside my distributor and have less stuff on the outside.. This is going on our 24ft searay - Since Ihave a marine distributor (that is brand new and has a 3 degree difference in the lobes on cyl 1 and 6) im trying to fix this unit I got given.

Another issue - the desired dwell on a v8 is usually in the 26-34 range for regular coils.. Im not sure how pertronix achieved this with this unit, possibly the distance to the sensor or perhaps some other kind of trickery?

Getting spark is one thing - but id be curious to know how one would go about trying to achieve dwell using the hall methods..

Also - here is a similar pic of the reluctor I have, can anyone tell me what type this is (so I can at least correct my terminology!) and if it will work with the components / schematic above?

s-l225.jpg

I held a metal knife onto mine and it doesnt appear to be magnetic - how does this trigger the sensor?

When discussing an ignition system, dwell refers to the length of time--read in distributor cam [shaft] rotational degrees--that the breakers were closed and the ignition coil was being charged with electricity. The coil fires (sends voltage to the spark plugs) just as the breakers crack open and the dwell period ends.

It is irrelevant and not adjustable on electronic ignitions.

Thanks clyde - had no idea this doesnt apply to elec ignition. In my stoneage way of thinking does the coil NOT require this power build up then? I would imagine it still requires dwell or does it just fire off the single spark signal?

excuse my lack of knowledge on these parts. Im very familiar with points - been changing them out for years, setting dwell/etc -

it doesnt appear to be magnetic - how does this trigger the sensor?
The sensor includes, or is magnetically close to, a permanent magnet. The reluctor completes or modifies the magnetic circuit.

Will this also work as a replacement for the unit thats burnt out on mine?

**broken link removed**

Found these under the same search - same number stamped ontop!

**broken link removed**

same thing?

well I found one in Florida and ordered it! I might still be very interested to make my own :)

Last edited:
There is some great ignition info here.

**broken link removed**

and click on Scope Diagnosis

Last edited:
If you ae going to build it to fit in the distributor, be aware that the switching IGBT will require a heat sink of some sort.

Clyde - link not working.. chmod it :)

debe - thanks, for now im replacing the unit on my broken one, it seems it does attach to the distributor body which is aluminium so has a big one right there, about 4" wide - only thing is engine heat soak into it as well..

This is a reluctor type unit as you previously posted. They use a triggering coil, & the coil has a magnet on it.
RELUCTOR HONDA.JPG
RELUCTOR CRO.JPG

Mine is a pertronix ignitor 1 unit that burned out.. I foud a replacement chip on ebay for $4.. will pop it on and see what happens lol.. but no oil on this thing.. just the reluctor and the chip thing i ordered.. underneath are some more components but its TINY.. about 5cm x 2cm x 1cm thick..

This is how most electronic distributers use Hall sensors to trigger Ign modules. These are hall sensors designed for automotive use & have built in magnets & are quite
HALL.1.JPG
HALL.2.JPG
HALL.3.JPG
rugged.

If your setup doesn't work with the reluctor. You could try this Bosch ign module that's designed for that system. Just find a sensing coil from a scrap distributor & fit to your distributor. You should be able to find the Bosch module at a wreckers cheep All of these parts I have scrounged from scrap places for free.
RELUCTOR IGN.1.JPG
RELUCTOR IGN.2.JPG
RELUCTOR IGN.3.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back