Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

DIY credit card sized laminated PCB's

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a RFID key before RFID was probably even on the map, about 30 years ago for a building. Total thickness was 2.5 mm. Someone took one apart and basically found a milled depression in it. It was basically covered with self-stick vinyl, but not totally to the edge. From what I remember the guy that took one apart, there were 4 etched antenna's and a component stuck in the middle of the milled hole, probably a diode. Aside: Later, I did have to do some troubleshooting of the lock system which for the most part was pretty reliable except that it stored access info on a cassette tape. It was eventually set to "fail soft" rather than "fail secure". In the former mode, any card would open any lock with no access controls.

I played around with some self-stick laser printable vinyl recently with good results. I also covered the result with clear vinyl (cold laminating).
It's tough printing on the vinyl at home because of the necessity of using a straight paper path. My printer usually prints page 2 first, so the configuration involves page setup, single sheet feed, and opening the back, otherwise you get an accordion.

Current PCB technology allows embedding of components within the PCB itself. I don't know who does it, or what tools are used, but it is possible to embed SMT parts inside of a PCB.

I suppose the next questions are, how flexible, and what component density?

What I might consider if it's complex, is a milled out secction with a small very thin PCB and the antenna on the main board. Mount the smaller pcb in the recess. Not sure how to attach antenna's. Flat ribbon?

*THINKS* if the circuit is simple enough to assemble using stranded wires between the components, you could do it that way, not using a pcb at all, and embed the thing in silicone, then it would be really, like, bendy, man **hic** (note to self: don't go in onternet when been drinking) (they got standed when then their sihp sank...) (sorry)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back