Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

DIY 149 clone

Status
Not open for further replies.

mynameisdan

I bought the DIY 149 clone from a company nbglin (linky). I bought this thing on inpulse as it was cheap and I need a usb programmer.

I'm trying to program a PIC18F4550, and this is not listed in the supported devices list. As such, even with the latest software from the original company, which does support my PIC, it does not work.

The next thing I have done is merge the configuration section for the earlier version so it will recognize my PIC, but still not working.

Are there any differences from this PIC and any other in the 18F series programing wise (ICSP), which I could try to get this thing to work? Has anyone made the same mistake as me in buying this crap and may have a little big of experience with it?

...or should I just dismantle it and use the parts for something worthwile?

Junk it. Those things are ancient and not properly supported anymore. I still have one that I bought long ago in my junk bin. It was great when it was new, but by today's standards it's junk (even if it was properly supported).

Get yourself a PICkit 2 or a Junebug, or a PICkit 3 (or a clone of one of these). Cheap and good.

Last edited:
Usually I'm all for 'getting things to work with what you have', because its easy to say "buy this!". But I'm with futz :) I built several JDM programmers, and serial port devices with no end of issues, until finally giving in and buying a PICkit2. Brilliant purchase.

Not only will it pretty much program any PIC you have, you can use it as a mini USB powered, variable power supply, logic analyser, UART tool, and EEPROM programmer. The new firmware even allows you to program a device remotely, given a USB power source (no host software required). I've no doubt the PICkit3 would be even better with a lot more functions.

The PICkit 3 for some reason doesnt auto-detect and apply power, like the PICkit 2 does, but other than that it's a fantastic upgrade. It debugs and programs much faster.

The PICkit 3 for some reason doesnt auto-detect and apply power, like the PICkit 2 does, but other than that it's a fantastic upgrade. It debugs and programs much faster.
Ya, I don't love mine (it's too much like the old ICD2), but it works well. I wish Microchip would polish up the MPLAB controls for PICkit 3 so it was nicer and easier to use - more like the PICkit 2. And auto-detect would be SO nice! It's a pain to have to go two levels down in menus to turn power on and off manually. But anyway it's really feeble with its power output, so I almost always supply external power.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back