Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Distance Sensors

Status
Not open for further replies.

vne147

Hey everyone. I posted this question in the robotics forum but didn't get too much activity on it. I'm hoping that here I might get more visibilty and ultimatley, help. So here's the deal.

What I'm trying to do:

I’m working on a project where I need to measure distance with an accuracy of ± 1mm (~ .04") at the most. Better accuracy is obviously preferred if possible. The distances I will be measuring will be in the range 150mm - 750mm (~ 6" - 30").

Solutions considered:

I have worked with several of the Sharp IR distance sensors before but I recently learned that they have a built in 8bit DAC that provides the analog output. Unfortunately, 8 bit resolution would not provide the accuracy I require.

I have also thought about laser range finders but I'm on a budget and not sure I'm skilled enough to pull it off. I did find this old thread. There is an interesting idea in post #14 that I'd like to get people's thoughts on and maybe some help implementing.

There are also of course ultrasonic sensors. I haven't used one before and after doing some searching on the web, I didn't have much luck finding any pre-made ultrasonic sensors with greater that ±1cm accuracy.

I think a sensor that might work is the PING from Parallax. The data sheet says that it outputs a pulse of duration equal to the round trip travel time of the distance being measured. I could easily feed that into a PIC and measure the duration of the pulse. If I clock the PIC at 20 MHz and I can measure the pulse with and accuracy of ± 2 - 3 µs, that would give me the accuracy I need.

My questions:

1. Does anyone have experience using a distance sensor to obtain this level of accuracy?
  2. Is there anything inherent in the design of the PING sensor that would limit the accuracy I could obtain?
  3. Does my idea seem feasible?
  4. If you were doing the project, how would you do it?

I hope my ideas and questions are clear. As always many thanks for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back