Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Disposing of ammonium persulfate

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattg2k4

I looked at the Material Safety Datasheet for ammonium persulfate, and all it said about disposal was not to let into natural water supplies, dispose in accordance with local regulations.

So where do I go to find out about the regulations? The city, county, state?

Also, how do you dispose of it?

i would recommend that you take it down to the local tip and ask someone there. if you are careful you may just get away with flushing it away because all that sewerage has to be treated and it may be caught out there(but i wouldn't test it). i recomend that you either go to an electronics shop, your local council or the tip.

good luck though

If you have a university or school near you, you could take it there, and ask them to put it in their "chemical waste" container. Any chemistry lab will have a container for aqueous waste.

I'd suggest putting a few pcs of copper in it to let it all react. Then put it in an old plastic soda bottle and throw it in the trash.
Dumping it down the toilet is no good for your pipes.
A trash dump may not be the best place for it, but it certainly won't be the worst thing there. If you are really worried about it, see if your town has a toxic waste day, where you can bring paint and such to a designated area to be disposed of.

Holy crap don't put it in a water bottle and leave it in the trash. That is a terrible idea. Ammonium persulafe with the copper from your board is a toxic liquid. Dispose of it properly. Find a hazardous waste disposal site. Phasor is right in that Universities are a good place to start.

Here's an extensive thread on the Nuts & Volts Forum on the subject:

**broken link removed**

Dean

I just throw it in our pool. Copper is used as an algaecide and the amount added is hundred of times more than any board etchant I might use.

If you want to be extra safe then mix in sodium bicarbonate (used in baking - ask mum) until it stops fizzing and the copper will precipitate as copper carbonate. You can throw the copper free solution down the drain and the blue powder (sludge) in the trash as it is now in an insoluble form. It will take a while for the powder to settle or you can pour it though a coffee filter.

Mike.

I just throw it in our pool. Copper is used as an algaecide and the amount added is hundred of times more than any board etchant I might use.

Mike.

The first time you said this (in another thread,) I really thought you were joking, but then I read an article on regenerating etchant, or on pool maintenance - can't remember which - and realized that you weren't. :p

Last edited:
Disposal of etchant solution

Disposal is very expensive and charged according to weight taking the unusable stuff to the hazardous chemicals disposal.

So I let the water completele evaporate at ambient temperature and take the "powder" to the disposal.

Boncuk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back