Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Display panel need

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bern1937

I am almost at the starting line, on knowledge, for this need. Can you give suggestions and/or point me to where I can get info. regarding either a LCD or LED display – panel? Size not critical, some where around 7 X 5 inch,maybe. Would like it to have circuits to provide both the X and Y sweeps, but I need to control the speed, and start time. ( Has to be locked to other circuits) Prefer an analog input for the Z, or intensity, signal. Would be great if it could also be color capable, but not necessary. ---- Does this make sense? As you can tell, I don’t really know what is available, therefore don’t know enough to even ask decent questions. Tnx

99% sure you won't find one since no one would bother to make an LCD/LED display that natively sweeps like a CRT. Unless I'm mistaken, even CRT with independent X and Y sweeps are pretty rare, most often seen in analog oscilloscopes. With an LCD/LED you just write what you want and where you want it to the screen. I'm not sure anyone would bother making the hardware to simulate such a thing for a LCD/LED display either unless it was all part of an oscilloscope.

Last edited:
You need to be far more specific about EXACTLY what you're trying to do, but if a normal analogue video monitor will do you can get them quite cheaply for use in car's etc. for playing DVD's on, of for small surveillance monitors.

Thanks guys for feedback. Sometimes a little side kick gets my head going in new directions.

After doing more investigation on my desire, requirements and equipment available, a couple ideas are changing, and getting fine tuned. This changed approach should make more sense, and now the biggest unknown, in my head, is the memory device. I think I can now use a standard screen, of some type, and not have to hack it.

I will be observing a remote situation that I need to present on a viewing screen. (The data is not visual) The collection format will be X, Y. Z. ---- Time for one pass or sweep of “X” will be 50 ms. Sample the “Z” input about every ms. ----- Steps of “Y” will be 128 or 256. I want to to store these locations, along with “Z” input information as they become available. At the same time this data is becoming available, I need to be able to recall (read the memory) and present it on a viewing screen. ---- Time for one frame of collection data will be several seconds, while the viewing screen flicker needs to be normal. ----- I guess I just need the memory and someway of reading it continuously to a viewing screen. ----- Does this make better sense? Tnx agn

Thanks guys for feedback. Sometimes a little side kick gets my head going in new directions.

After doing more investigation on my desire, requirements and equipment available, a couple ideas are changing, and getting fine tuned. This changed approach should make more sense, and now the biggest unknown, in my head, is the memory device. I think I can now use a standard screen, of some type, and not have to hack it.

I will be observing a remote situation that I need to present on a viewing screen. (The data is not visual) The collection format will be X, Y. Z. ---- Time for one pass or sweep of “X” will be 50 ms. Sample the “Z” input about every ms. ----- Steps of “Y” will be 128 or 256. I want to to store these locations, along with “Z” input information as they become available. At the same time this data is becoming available, I need to be able to recall (read the memory) and present it on a viewing screen. ---- Time for one frame of collection data will be several seconds, while the viewing screen flicker needs to be normal. ----- I guess I just need the memory and someway of reading it continuously to a viewing screen. ----- Does this make better sense? Tnx agn
That is much more doable. What's your budget? And do you have a data processing/collection/transmission setup already? Text display only? And if text only, how many lines? 2? 12? or 50+? At 50+ its almost just as much effort to go graphical. Alternatively, you cant use a laptop and display the text data using terminal software?

Last edited:
Steps of “Y” will be 128 or 256.
If the slow Y has 256 locations;
The faster X then maybe is also 256 data points; 50mS/256 so the data is coming in at about 200uS or 5khz.
I think a Raspberry Pi 2 could capture data at that rate and display the results. Have never tried it. Have done this with a much smaller computer.

There are a lot of data acquisition products out there for gathering and reading all sorts of signals into the computer. Most often through a USB port. Many will drop the data into an Excel spreadsheet so you can format and display the data however you wish.

There are also systems for tablets and smartphones.

National Instruments www.ni.com is probably the most well known supplier, but there are many others. Google "data acquisition"

No text. The "Z" input line will be displayed as intensity only, on the screen. Final picture will be almost like looking at a picture - TV --, how ever the lighter and darker areas will produce patterns which will indicate the status of the monitored areas. Z is not on and off, but the amplitude/intensity level must be conveyed by the brightness on the screen. ( Imagine an oscilloscope of yesterday where I could run the H sweep at 50 ms. per full sweep. Now for every H sweep, the V step will be 1/128 of the total V dimension. Now the "Z" input will be modulated with an analog signal giving basically a picture.) This is sort of how I imagine the system. I am looking for some more samples of transducers tomorrow. The actual data collection system is not finalized at this time, however looks great on paper. LOL

Hi ChrisP58 Yes that is also one possible solution that is being considered. Just dump all the input data into the system and let a laptop figure out how to put it on the screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back