Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Discrete Boost converter output voltage drop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miracletech

I'm using this circuit design:
"https://www.eevblog.com/forum/proje...onverter/?action=dlattach;attach=294867;image"
But I changed some values:
R1:220 ohms
R3:470 ohms
C1:470PF
M1: TIP41C.
When I turn the converter on and connect a 500MA Load, The output voltage significantly drops from 5.6V to 4.6V, And there is voltage drop across my inductor(???)
My question is; Is there any fault on my side? I used every other thing of same value except the components above.
Is my inductor saturating, Because I'm getting 0.07v drop across it, which is odd.
Any ideas what is going on?
(By the way, I'm stepping up 3.7v to 5V for Led strip. I like discrete.)

The circuit is designed for a FET.
Your TIP41C is a fairly low gain device typically used for audio, I'd just say it is not very suitable for that type of circuit.

Adding a 10K resistor base-emitter to Q2 may? improve regulation slightly.

What inductor are you using & does it have an adequate DC current rating?

Edit - I'd also connect a 100 Ohm resistor in series with C1 to limit the base current to Q2.

The inductor should have a few volts AC across it.
Anything else is guesswork without seeing actual waveforms...

Can you try a FET rather than a bipolar transistor?

Also, a ceramic cap directly across the circuit input may change the output somewhat, depending on the battery characteristics and the wiring to that.

This circuit is very dependent on what transistor for M1. (current gain if TIP41 or on resistance of BSZ0920) (and L1 and Q2, R3)
1604064762791.png

I don't have a FET. I'm so messed up without it.
The BJT is okay right? I've seen the TIP41C being used many times, so its okay right?

Wait a minute, is it that the on Resistance or VCEsat of the transistor determines the current output of the Boost converter? Lower resistance means more current right?
Or, Am I mistaken somewhere?

My thing is; Is it the transistor that is causing the voltage drop?
If my calculation is correct, The resistance of the transistor determines the output current?

There are *very fundamental* differences between bipolar and Mosfet transistors.

If the author said that this circuit would work, as is, with no component changes, and with a VERY SLOW transistor like the TIP41, ask him to show you how.

What do you know about L1? Do you have any data? Can you send a picture? If L1 saturates you can not get any more power than that.
--edited--
To get 500mA out, it will take 1A (about) from the 3.7V battery.

Last edited:
You can call a BJT Old, But Not slow.
BJT's are still wonderful devices that I have used to design circuits.
You can call a BJT Old, But not slow.
I love them, And I still use them.

OK, L1 I upgraded to a 4,7Uh inductor from a laptop (I'm good a t salvaging :)
Edit: The voltage drop across the inductor is still present.
Edit 2: from the wire diameter, It is a 3A inductor, Which is Good enough.

Last edited:
Did you add the base-emitter resistor I suggested, to Q2?
And a capacitor across the circuit power input?

There is nothing at all wrong with bipolar transistors - IF you use an appropriate one for an application.

A FET gate is purely voltage-driven, with a bit of capacitance.

Bipolar transistors are current driven. The TIP41 could need anything from 30mA up to 100mA to fully turn on with a one amp load, so even ignoring its speed, it's very marginal in a circuit such as that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back