Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

diod

Status
Not open for further replies.

geraldh

Hi all

I am still busy learning about diodes

I see on all Schematic sercuits with a LED there is always a diod connected to that LED now what does the diod do to the LED.

geraldh said:
Hi all

I see on all Schematic sercuits with a LED there is always a diod connected to that LED now what does the diod do to the LED.

No, I would have thought it would be fairly rare to have a diode connected to an LED, how is it connected?, perhaps you could give a URL?.

Where you do need a diode is with AC, an LED would be damaged by AC and the extra diode protects it.

geraldh said:
Hi all

I don't really understand your question. Do you realise that a LED is a diode? LED = Light Emitting Diode.

Or did you mean as Nigel assumed that there is a diode in series with the LED. If so, this is unusual. The usual reason to do this is to protect it from reverese breakdown if there is a reverse voltage applied. From memory, LEDs have a maximum reverse breakdown of about 3 Volt.

Len

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back