Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

dimming leds

Status
Not open for further replies.

merk

Hi guys.
I' ve bought **broken link removed**

and this **broken link removed**

I don't know how does this drivers work but I predict they control output voltage by PWM according to the input voltage (85-265V as written on the box).

Can I control the brightnes by regular dimmer switch which as I know use potentiometer and triac to cut AC sin wawe.

Would this work or would led flicker?

That 85-265V spec is for the nominal line-voltage, covering 110/120/230/240 with a little margin at either end, and carefully excluding 277V.
Apparently, the dimmable versions can sense the phase-angle of the incoming waveform. The 'datasheet' is a bit vague on this.
I would certainly try a light-dimmer: the phrase 'triac-dimmer' on the box has to mean something.

Triac dimmers were never meant to be used with LEDs....triac dimmers were only meant for use with incandescent light bulbs...however, some manufacturers are trying to make their led drivers compatible with triac dimmers.

Triac dimmers are "leading edge dimmers", whereas the other type of dimmer is a "trailing edge dimmer".

The Triac dimmers are more electrically "violent" than the trailing edge dimmers, but the triac dimmers are a little cheaper.

If the led driver does not have sufficient smoothing and damping and circuitry inside it, then the led driver may be damaged by connection to a triac dimmer. Also, if the led driver does not have a "Bleed" circuit in it, then the leds may flicker when connected to a triac dimmer.

The trailing edge dimmer would be safer for you to try, since it will not damage the led driver, but may make the leds flicker.

Generally, led drivers that are compatible with triac dimmers or trailing edge dimmers have no electrolytic primary side dc bus capacitor inside them.....so if you open it and see a large 400v electrolytic capacitor then its probably not meant for triac dimmers or trailing edge dimmers. -Thats not to say though, that there are nt ways that such dimmers can be workable at times with both types of dimmers mentioned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back