Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Digital Volt Meter

Status
Not open for further replies.

hindy123

Hi all
Does anyone have a diagram for a digital volt meter to measure from
0v - 50v DC. The only thing is the unit must be powered by the same source it is measuring. If thats not possible I can live with a seperate 9v supply.
Its quite a few years since I did anything like this so if anyone has a project that includes a pcb layout that would be great.
many thanks

Last edited:
The easiest way is using an ICL7107 (price ~US$ 1.30). It contains all necessary circuitry like A/D converter and display driver.

There are just a few external components necessary for the complete DVM circuit.

The basic voltage measuring range is 199.9mV. Using an appropriate voltage divider at its input the readout can be made from 0 to 99.9V

Boncuk

Last edited:
The ICL7107 needs a supply that is separate from what it measures.
It uses an LED display so it eats a battery in a few minutes.

Use an ICL7106 instead. It uses a low power LCD display so a little 9V battery will last a long time.

Another reason to use a ICL7106 instead of a ICL7107 is that the ICL7107 gets so hot driving the LEDs that it's internal voltage reference starts to drift.

Last edited:
Use an ICL7106 instead. It uses a low power LCD display so a little 9V battery will last a long time.

Thanks all for your input guys. It looks as if I might be able to manage that one, and looks as if it might do the job.

Audioguru will using ICL7106 instead of the ICL7107 alter the rest of the circuit at all?

I have just also noticed that on the circuit pics that there are components other than what the pcb has room for????
Does anyone have any idea what these are for ??

Thanks
Andy

Last edited:
Thanks all for your input guys. It looks as if I might be able to manage that one, and looks as if it might do the job.

Audioguru will using ICL7106 instead of the ICL7107 alter the rest of the circuit at all?

Thanks
Andy

hi Andy,

Compare the two circuits.:)

Attachments

• esp01 Dec. 15.gif
    esp01 Dec. 15.gif
    57.6 KB · Views: 1,936
Hi Eric.
From what I can see the only change is the voltage to the led's
If this is the case then i should not have any probs. Thanks

hi,
Also check the BP [back plane signal pin] to the LCD.

hi,
Also check the BP [back plane signal pin] to the LCD.

Ok Eric, you lost me there, its a very, very long time since I did anything like this. I take it that where pin 21 goes to ground it needs to connected to the led's. if so where ? It looks as if it is for the minus sign ? what if I dont need the minus sign, can this be left as is?

Ok Eric, you lost me there, its a very, very long time since I did anything like this. I take it that where pin 21 goes to ground it needs to connected to the led's. if so where ? It looks as if it is for the minus sign ? what if I dont need the minus sign, can this be left as is?

hi,
No, the POL, 'polarity' is the minus sign.
On the LCD display, look at the dwg for your LCD, you will see BP pins as well as the segment pins.
They may be more than one BP pin on the LCD, they ALL must go to the BP pin of the 7106.

Another point to consider, if you are displaying 50.0Vdc, is the decimal point, these will also be indicated on the LCD dwg.

OK.?:)

Last edited:
hi,
No, the POL, 'polarity' is the minus sign.
On the LCD display, look at the dwg for your LCD, you will see BP pins as well as the segment pins.
They may be more than one BP pin on the LCD, they ALL must go to the BP pin of the 7106.

Another point to consider, if you are displaying 50.0Vdc, is the decimal point, these will also be indicated on the LCD dwg.

OK.?:)

Hi Eric.
Got it now. Many thanks.
Fingers crossed that I get it all right, otherwise I will be buying a unit to do the job. Its been about 25 years since I did anything like this.

Interesting reading guys, will also help out with a few of my display projects, have been searching for a driver chip for a while, cheers,

just found a alternate chip to the 7107, its listed as NJ9202BD, as far as I can see it is pin compatable and there is a LCD variant avaliable as well, I have a PDF Datasheet for View attachment voltmeter.pdfit Hope this helps, Karl

For everybody interested in that chip: Intersil has published an application note with an autoranging circuit. Document name: AN046

It's contained in the list of datasheets searching for ICL7017 at http://www.datasheetarchive.com

Boncuk

Last edited:
The ICL7107 needs a supply that is separate from what it measures.
It uses an LED display so it eats a battery in a few minutes.

If you use it in bright environment an LC-Display is fine. I used it to make a micromanometer and reading in completely dark air channels requires an LED-display.

Using high efficiency LED-displays the current consumed by the display is below 100mA.

I also used the same power source for the pressure sensor circuit and the DVM circuit. Measuring current the power source must be separate from the circuit to measure.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back