Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Digital Video Switcher

Status
Not open for further replies.

ronbowalker

I am using four cameras and a Quad multuplexor. I have to push the buttons on the multiplexor to select each image, or to view in 4-plex. I would like to make a component that will do the same thing, yet i would like to be able to select the individual views and/or the 4-plex view by using a multi-button panel to do so. This panel will be located 50 feet from the monitor and I would like to use cat5e wire to transmitt thru. I figure the challenge is a good one, but I know you guys love a good challenge. Please help if you can....and thanks.

Wow, I just ordered a MAX454 chip, and going to build multiplexer for my cameras. Been using a relay/555 timer to switch between carport and back yard on a small LCD monitor, and a VCR to switch between 4 cameras on the main monitor with remote. I think the 4-plex view would be a tough to build idea.

Have you consider a video input card and PC, you could configure the software anyway you want, change easily and slightly cheaper than a dedicated multiplexer (but still more then I'm willing to spend).

The MAX chip is $9.95 and 4 channels and video amplifier, channel selection is digital using 3 bits. I'll be using an ATtiny2313 to control switching. I once tried a 4066 bi-directional switch, but didn't get good results.

Very interesting

Thank you for the response to my project posting. I think you are on the right track for sure, yet it is a bit short of my full expectations. Any futher diagrams or instructions would be of great assistance.:rolleyes:

I see you have several problems.
CAT5E is not 50 or 75 ohms. My memory is not good but I think it is 110 ohms. There are 75 to cat5 transformers. Something like the 300 to 75 ohm transformers. I would convert to the cat5 impedance on both ends of the wire. In 50 feet you will loose some signal.

There are many video mux chips in the MAX series. Pick one.

Did you say 4-ples? Do you want to see 4 small pictures at the same time? Big project! I think there is an IC for that. You need to save all 4 pictures in memory. This is not a simple 8-pin IC type project.

I have already processed the video feed thru cat5e and I am more focused now on the camera selections capabilities at this time. I appreciate your help and please feel free to contact me if you have more to add.

ronbowalker said:
Thank you for the response to my project posting. I think you are on the right track for sure, yet it is a bit short of my full expectations. Any futher diagrams or instructions would be of great assistance.:rolleyes:

Actually, I was just sharing a current project of mine that is similar to yours. I know dividing the screen four ways is way beyond my abilities, but going to watch this thread to see how it goes. I was mistaken on the MAX chip, only uses to pins to select the camera, so might get away with using an 8 pin MCU.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back