Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Digital logic question

Status
Not open for further replies.

ethan169

Ok so I have another question for you guys about a simple logic circuit.

All i really need to do is get a single pulse each time the inputted square wave has a rising edge.

This seems like a pretty simple task to complete to me, I just cant think of the logic that is needed. My first thought was something with a counter or Flip-Flop.

I found this article - **broken link removed**

And here they are basically using two counters to double the frequency of a supplied square wave by triggering on both rising and falling edge.

I just need something like the Ctr 1 out in this article.

Its basically just configuring a counter to provide a pulse at the output on the rising edge of the input. What counter could i use to do this?

I took digital all to long ago and unfortunately didn't pay much attention.

Thanks for any help guys!

-Ethan

an edge triggered monostable....a 555 timer chip would do..

Look at the link, about two thirds of the page down...

**broken link removed**

Number 8 in the sequence..

Last edited:
The circuit is an "edge detector". Attached using CMOS version. R2/C1 sets the output pulse width. SW1 just simulates the input square wave.

ken

Attachments

• Edge Detector.gif
    Edge Detector.gif
    12.7 KB · Views: 2,532
The 555 timer circuit looks like it defiantly does the job that i need.

But Heres a question on the edge detector circuit.
The circuit is an "edge detector". Attached using CMOS version. R2/C1 sets the output pulse width. SW1 just simulates the input square wave.

ken

This will give me a pulse on both the rising edge and the falling edge. How would i modify this to be just rising edge?

-Ethan

btw thanks for the quick responses!

74HC123 can be set for rising or falling edge but will not respond to both. Time is set by RC.

a small capacitor coupled to a pull down resistor on the target might be adequate, I've used it to latch a 74xx573 in the past.

The attached gives a very short positive pulse on the output for each rising edge on the input.

Attachments

• Mono.png
    Mono.png
    2.9 KB · Views: 768
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back